What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Books not syncing?

kdryan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I have just about had it with ebooks and the ipad. I can never get my ebooks to sync unless it's one I buy from the itunes store. To be honest, there are cheaper out there and I can get a lot more availability elsewhere and I should be able to do this, so I'm not feeling to charitable towards Apple about it.

So I have a folder of books on my pc (Windows 7) I use to store my books in. Tonight I added 'A Game of Thrones' in .pdf form and it didn't work. All I got was the book with the little download bar across it, but it wouldn't progress, it just stayed black. I converted the .pdf to an .epub using an online service and got the same results. The book shows up on the Ipad, but the download will not progress.

Any thoughts?

Kevin

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you adding your books to iTunes first, or just dragging them to your iPad in iTunes. I have several books from the Gutenberg Project and they sync no problem, IF they are added to iTunes on the PC.

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kdryan said:
Ok I have just about had it with ebooks and the ipad. I can never get my ebooks to sync unless it's one I buy from the itunes store. To be honest, there are cheaper out there and I can get a lot more availability elsewhere and I should be able to do this, so I'm not feeling to charitable towards Apple about it.

So I have a folder of books on my pc (Windows 7) I use to store my books in. Tonight I added 'A Game of Thrones' in .pdf form and it didn't work. All I got was the book with the little download bar across it, but it wouldn't progress, it just stayed black. I converted the .pdf to an .epub using an online service and got the same results. The book shows up on the Ipad, but the download will not progress.

Any thoughts?

Kevin

Possibly the book is dodgy , try email the book to yourself, and then click the attached file and use " open in iBooks" if there is still an issue then the book could quite easily be a dodgy one.

Another alternative is try open the book with a PDF reader.
Note: Dodgy books can cause hanging and crashing of iBooks

OP
K

kdryan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And of course, as soon as I post a question about it and try one more time to sync it, it works...

OP
K

kdryan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As long as we're at it, when I sync, my books disappear from the Ipad. They go away and sometimes they come back and sometimes they don't. They show in Itunes as being on the Ipad, but do not show up in iBooks.

Sonia ferdous

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you checked your syncing settings? Go to Settings >> iBooks, and make sure that the Sync Bookmarks and Sync Collection are turned on. If it is not so, then make it.

Most reactions