What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bluetooth

cecilrwilliams

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is great that you are able to turn on Bluetooth; however, it does not allow you to pair any Bluetooth devices. I really do not understand the advantage. I use it to turn off Bluetooth. I should have stated that I am speaking of the feature that allows you to swipe up for camera, screen brightness, volume, etc. Am I missing something in the Bluetooth option?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, just opened Settings > Bluetooth (which was OFF); then brought up the 'Control Center' & hit the BT symbol which turned it on and put the iPad in 'Discoverable Mode' - now I had my BT headphones on but they were not 'automatically' discovered, i.e. had to press the device in my BT list (which has 3 items); but when I turned the BT symbol off (in the Control Center), the music did stop. SO, unless someone else has had a different experience, then that's all that I can offer at the moment. Dave :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have previously paired a device with the iPad, using the control center to turn the Bluetooth on will help (if the device is in pairing mode, the act of turning on the Bluetooth in the control center will make the devices pair).

However, if you have not paired a device with the iPad before, you will have to go into the Settings app (in the Bluetooth tab) to make the initial pairing. Thereafter, it should auto-pair once you turn on Bluetooth.

Or, at least that's how I understand it... :)

Marilyn

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, as most devices (all I've ever seen, read about or discussed) have a built in Passcode (so the guy sitting 3 rows down in the lecture hall can't pair with your earphones or speaker just because he sees it as a discoverable device) you have to go through the pairing ritual. Without this there is a possibility someone might discover back door entryways into phones or laptops.

OP
cecilrwilliams

cecilrwilliams

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree with all the comments. I just thought that having the ability to turn on or off Bluetooth from the Control Center is, allow me to say, useless unless it allows you to pair a device. I understand how to do it, via settings, just thought Apple would show available devices to pair in the Control Center, if you turn Bluetooth on.

Are you listening or reading this post Apple? Upgrade Control Center to pair.

Cecil

OP
cecilrwilliams

cecilrwilliams

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree with all the comments. I just thought that having the ability to turn on or off Bluetooth from the Control Center is, allow me to say, useless unless it allows you to pair a device. I understand how to do it, via settings, just thought Apple would show available devices to pair in the Control Center, if you turn Bluetooth on. Are you listening or reading this post Apple? Upgrade Control Center to pair. Cecil

I think Apple could allow a window to open to enter password, if password protect, and then list available devices. I am a simple man, always looking for a shortcut.

Continuous improvement Apple is better than delayed perfection.

OP
cecilrwilliams

cecilrwilliams

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you have previously paired a device with the iPad, using the control center to turn the Bluetooth on will help (if the device is in pairing mode, the act of turning on the Bluetooth in the control center will make the devices pair). However, if you have not paired a device with the iPad before, you will have to go into the Settings app (in the Bluetooth tab) to make the initial pairing. Thereafter, it should auto-pair once you turn on Bluetooth. Or, at least that's how I understand it... :) Marilyn

Auto pairing doesn't work on my iPad or iPhone, once I log off. I have to go to setting, Bluetooth, enable, than a list of devices will be provided.

NickJames

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using Ipad mini and auto pairing is possible in that, still I have not used it much so probably that's why I am not having that issue. which ipad you are using?

OP
cecilrwilliams

cecilrwilliams

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am using Ipad mini and auto pairing is possible in that, still I have not used it much so probably that's why I am not having that issue. which ipad you are using?

iPad 3. Control Center has ability to turn on Bluetooth; however, I have to go to settings to pair.

OP
cecilrwilliams

cecilrwilliams

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you have previously paired a device with the iPad, using the control center to turn the Bluetooth on will help (if the device is in pairing mode, the act of turning on the Bluetooth in the control center will make the devices pair). However, if you have not paired a device with the iPad before, you will have to go into the Settings app (in the Bluetooth tab) to make the initial pairing. Thereafter, it should auto-pair once you turn on Bluetooth. Or, at least that's how I understand it... :) Marilyn

I have three items that I frequently pair. I can turn Bluetooth on from the Control Center; however, I do have to go to setting, Bluetooth, then select the device. It may be that it doesn't know which of the three I want to pair. Example: My Samsung Sound Bar is set for BT. I want to listen via the sound bar, vs. iPad. Control Centers will turn the iPad BT on, but will not pair. I use the sound bar daily. I still have to go to settings to pair the Samsung systems. Just may be a problem on my end. Thanks for posting.

I thank all for the replies.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have 4 devices I connect to by BT regularly. IF I used BT with one of those last, say the Logitech mini boombox, then turning the BT off or on in my control center will work. I only paired it once to put it in my list. And no, no code for it--just push the button until it pings for the original pairing- after that, just turn it on and turn in BT in CC. But--if I want to use my Apple BT keyboard, even though it is paired (and yes, it did require a code being entered to pair it originally and put it in my BT list) and it wasn't the last one being used it doesn't always connect--occasionally I have to open settings, click beside its name to connect. However, all 4 devices are "paired" and only have to be turned on usually, with the occasional having to touch its name in the BT list in settings.

Should say ipad Air, but it worked the same on my Ipad 3 with IOS7.

OP
cecilrwilliams

cecilrwilliams

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have 4 devices I connect to by BT regularly. IF I used BT with one of those last, say the Logitech mini boombox, then turning the BT off or on in my control center will work. I only paired it once to put it in my list. And no, no code for it--just push the button until it pings for the original pairing- after that, just turn it on and turn in BT in CC. But--if I want to use my Apple BT keyboard, even though it is paired (and yes, it did require a code being entered to pair it originally and put it in my BT list) and it wasn't the last one being used it doesn't always connect--occasionally I have to open settings, click beside its name to connect. However, all 4 devices are "paired" and only have to be turned on usually, with the occasional having to touch its name in the BT list in settings.

Should say ipad Air, but it worked the same on my Ipad 3 with IOS7.

Must be something wrong with my iPad three. I did this as a test: settings, turn on BT, three items appear. I paired my Samsung Sound Bar, which was set to BT, welcome screen on sound Bar that I was connected. Open iTunes on iPad, Radio, played song that played on sound bar. Went back to settings, turned BT off, lost sound (as should be) on sound bar. Opened Control Center, turned BT on, waited minute to see if it would pair with sound bar. No. iPad played music from the iPad speakers, would not pair with sound bar. I guess I will accept the fact that using settings is my only choice.

I still suggest that Apple should, upon enabling BT by Control Center, provide a pop up list of devices available to connect. Select your choice, end of problem. Just saying...

Most reactions

Latest posts