What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bluetooth help

Wayne Block

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know Bluetooth devices are notoriously quirky, but the one on my iPad is driving me crazy.
I have hearing aids and I am having an awful time getting it to connect, even though I have been using both for out 1-2 years.
I have re-started the iPad about 5-6 times, told it to forget this device and even put new batteries in my aids. The iPad is less than 12 inches from my aids.
The problem I am having now is that it will not pair. I can't even tell it to "forget" as I have already gone past that step and won't allow me to go back.
Any ideas what I can do.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I know Bluetooth devices are notoriously quirky, but the one on my iPad is driving me crazy.
I have hearing aids and I am having an awful time getting it to connect, even though I have been using both for out 1-2 years.
I have re-started the iPad about 5-6 times, told it to forget this device and even put new batteries in my aids. The iPad is less than 12 inches from my aids.
The problem I am having now is that it will not pair. I can't even tell it to "forget" as I have already gone past that step and won't allow me to go back.
Any ideas what I can do.
Hi Wayne - please tell us which iPad model you own and the iPadOS installed - did you noticed any problems after updating/upgrading the iOS on the device? Also if not already done, checkout Apple's Support Article on the topic (you likely have done most suggestions). Finally, how old are the hearing aids and can you try them out on another iPad? Hope others w/ more experience will 'chime in' to help - good luck. Dave :)

OP
W

Wayne Block

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Wayne - please tell us which iPad model you own and the iPadOS installed - did you noticed any problems after updating/upgrading the iOS on the device? Also if not already done, checkout Apple's Support Article on the topic (you likely have done most suggestions). Finally, how old are the hearing aids and can you try them out on another iPad? Hope others w/ more experience will 'chime in' to help - good luck. Dave :)
Should have thought of this earlier. I have an iPad 7th Gen running ios 15.4.1. Aids are about a year and a half. I will check the article you mentioned.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the hearing aids are MiFi compatible (you should know if you bought them) then try setting them up in Settings > Accessibility > Hearing Devices instead.

Check your hearing aid manual/instructions and make sure the hearing aids are in discovery mode. I'm not familiar with hearing aids, but his usually involves push/holding some combination of buttons and a flashing led.

If the iPad's settings are truly messed up, l you can go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPad > Reset > Reset All Settings. This will return most system settings to default. You won't lose any data or apps, but quite a few system settings and a few native Apple apps will need to be retweaked to your liking.

You could also try Reset Network Settings, in the same place. This will erase all you're network settings, so you'll need to rejoin any wi-fi networks you use. Be sure you know your network names and passwords before doing this.

I don't know if it effects Bluetooth, so consider this a last desperate attempt before contacting Apple Support. There is an Apple Support app, and if you go through the choices it will eventually connect you with a support technician. Whether or not you will be charged, I don't know, but they will tell you upfront what a service costs if you do need to pay. I've never seen or heard of anyone being charged for the chat support in the Support app.

If you have a nearby Apple Store, you could make an appointment and let them look at the problem. The appointment and any diagnostics are free. If there is a charge to fix something (say the bluetooth module has gone bad) you'll be told.

That's all I can think of, keeping in mind I have very little knowledge or experience with hearing aids.

OP
W

Wayne Block

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the hearing aids are MiFi compatible (you should know if you bought them) then try setting them up in Settings > Accessibility > Hearing Devices instead.

Check your hearing aid manual/instructions and make sure the hearing aids are in discovery mode. I'm not familiar with hearing aids, but his usually involves push/holding some combination of buttons and a flashing led.

If the iPad's settings are truly messed up, l you can go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPad > Reset > Reset All Settings. This will return most system settings to default. You won't lose any data or apps, but quite a few system settings and a few native Apple apps will need to be retweaked to your liking.

You could also try Reset Network Settings, in the same place. This will erase all you're network settings, so you'll need to rejoin any wi-fi networks you use. Be sure you know your network names and passwords before doing this.

I don't know if it effects Bluetooth, so consider this a last desperate attempt before contacting Apple Support. There is an Apple Support app, and if you go through the choices it will eventually connect you with a support technician. Whether or not you will be charged, I don't know, but they will tell you upfront what a service costs if you do need to pay. I've never seen or heard of anyone being charged for the chat support in the Support app.

If you have a nearby Apple Store, you could make an appointment and let them look at the problem. The appointment and any diagnostics are free. If there is a charge to fix something (say the bluetooth module has gone bad) you'll be told.

That's all I can think of, keeping in mind I have very little knowledge or experience with hearing aids.
The article you suggested had the solution. Thanks so much!

OP
W

Wayne Block

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It was Giradman who actually suggested the article. Still, I'm glad you got the issue solved.
Well, I spoke too soon. It worked the first time i tried it but since then every time I leave an area where I have listened to videos or music it disconnects.
Is there an iPad tech support site?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is a Support tab at the top of the apple.com site. You can often find articles like the one you saw by searching there. For more direct help download and use Apple's Support app. It is possible to end up in a support chat with a technician. You can also do this on Apple's support pages, but I find the app easier to use. Just a few levels to drill down before you get to a person.

Most reactions

Latest posts