What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biometric Ident

Redhotpoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone know, if/are there any real Biometric Identifier apps to download, free or with a nominal charge?
I'm searching and am disappointed to only find "Entertainment"grade ones available.

I would enjoy a simple thumb or hand print reader, but Iris and facial recognition would be better, using the iPad camera that's included.

Chas

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone know, if/are there any real Biometric Identifier apps to download, free or with a nominal charge?
I'm searching and am disappointed to only find "Entertainment"grade ones available.

I would enjoy a simple thumb or hand print reader, but Iris and facial recognition would be better, using the iPad camera that's included.

Chas

G'day Chas, what you are searching for, as a serious usable proposition, looks to be still a glint in Apple's eye, but seems a good indicator of what we may expect in a future iPad upgrade. Check out this patent taken out by Apple:
www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/face-object-recognition/

Strangely enough there is an App Store app "Fingerprint Security - Pro" at a cheap $0.99 which, if your question is regarding iDevice secure log-on, may be of interest to you.
Regards, Andrew

OP
Redhotpoker

Redhotpoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The OB said:
G'day Chas, what you are searching for, as a serious usable proposition, looks to be still a glint in Apple's eye, but seems a good indicator of what we may expect in a future iPad upgrade. Check out this patent taken out by Apple:
www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/face-object-recognition/

Strangely enough there is an App Store app "Fingerprint Security - Pro" at a cheap $0.99 which, if your question is regarding iDevice secure log-on, may be of interest to you.
Regards, Andrewddc28

Hi ,
Ah, well, would you please post a link to it.

All the ones I see in the abundant App Store are Entertainment grade, not real.

Chas

OP
Redhotpoker

Redhotpoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
Yeah
So it's either a game variety, or go big, but only with an expensive licensed add on peripheral.
Thanks. I was hoping the iPad 3 screen itself, or onboard camera could do the job, without having the need for an external scanner.
Sorry, I don't want to plug anything into it, especially if I should be traveling with my unit.

Chas

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The capacitive screen on the iPad is not sensitive enough to detect the fine gradients needed for fingerprint recognition. The design of capacitive fingerprint scanners is completely different.

The camera, as well, is not designed to recognize a finger print. Optical fingerprint scanners need special lighting and a surface to press the finger against to work.

Iris recognition is probably feasible, but the normal focal distance of the iPad's camera makes it awkward, if not impossible, to get a focused image that is also large enough to use. I tried. You could probably use some kind of lens attachment to fix this, but I don't imagine too many people would be willing to carry and use such a device.

Face recognition should be doable, and there is at least one iPhone app that attempts it; FaceVault. However the technology is still flakey even in business security and this app doesn't seem to be very reliable (going by the reviews)

Speaker recognition should be the easiest biometric to implement, but I can't find anything. Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms.

Thats all I can dig out of my memory or find in half an hour digging around. Sorry.

I found the Wikipedia Biometrics article interesting, mostly it's See Also section that proved useful in identifying the various biometric methods in use and the sensors needed.

OP
Redhotpoker

Redhotpoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
The capacitive screen on the iPad is not sensitive enough to detect the fine gradients needed for fingerprint recognition. The design of capacitive fingerprint scanners is completely different.

The camera, as well, is not designed to recognize a finger print. Optical fingerprint scanners need special lighting and a surface to press the finger against to work.

Iris recognition is probably feasible, but the normal focal distance of the iPad's camera makes it awkward, if not impossible, to get a focused image that is also large enough to use. I tried. You could probably use some kind of lens attachment to fix this, but I don't imagine too many people would be willing to carry and use such a device.

Face recognition should be doable, and there is at least one iPhone app that attempts it; FaceVault. However the technology is still flakey even in business security and this app doesn't seem to be very reliable (going by the reviews)

Speaker recognition should be the easiest biometric to implement, but I can't find anything. Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms.

Thats all I can dig out of my memory or find in half an hour digging around. Sorry.

I found the Wikipedia Biometrics article interesting, mostly it's See Also section that proved useful in identifying the various biometric methods in use and the sensors needed.

Hi,
It's funny too, that the folks over at Dragon, were supposed to have an iPad app ready to roll out, that worked with voice recognition as a security device.
The links to the app store were already in place and everything was a green light. But the link never worked,
and then, when the Apple-Google partnership connections went up like a fart in a wind storm, with their parting of the ways, and that Dragon app fizzled completely out. Smile
I contacted Dragon, about the dead link, or any news, and they asked me if I wanted to download that app for an Android device. I never replied back to them!!

Chas

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
Redhotpoker

Redhotpoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The OB said:
Quite superfluous now following twerppoet's excellent contributions, (thank you too) but here is the link, plus one other which no doubt you already looked at.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fingerprint-security-pro

http://www.appover.com/search/biometric-fingerprint-security/418092338/

Obviously, they are entertainment grade only, not suitable for you. I trust I haven't wasted too much of your time with all this.
Regards, Andrewddc28

Hi,
Oh wow, thanks, no wonder I couldn't find it. As that first link you sent won't open.
I get an error which says not available in Canada.
But the second link did open, and I see a bunch of apps not seen in the Canadian App Store.
Strange, I'd have thought we had the same selections.
No you haven't wasted any of my time what so ever, I hope not yours either...

Hey ah, thanks again for trying to help out, I truly appreciate this.

Chas

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts