What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best video player apps for ipad

DrPaulR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am currently using Movie Player on my iPad1. However, I am tired of iTunes trying to back up 20ish GB worth of AVI files. I read in this thread that AVPlayer has a feature that allow me to prevent back of my non-iTunes movies. Do the other players have this feature as well? Thanks in advance.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DrPaulR said:
I am currently using Movie Player on my iPad1. However, I am tired of iTunes trying to back up 20ish GB worth of AVI files. I read in this thread that AVPlayer has a feature that allow me to prevent back of my non-iTunes movies. Do the other players have this feature as well? Thanks in advance.

Buzz Player HD & GoodPlayer both support this feature too.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Acextreme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmm, just wondering, if buzz player and oplayer were so good, why are the ratings and reviews in appstore for both of them so low? Turns out that Avplayer is the better of the lot among them; not implying anything, just pointing that out as just moments ago, I was researching for the best media player and has read plenty on forums, including this. However, a read on appstore depicts a totally different picture (i.e. there are more favorable reviews and ratings for avplayerhd than buzzplayer and oplayer).

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Acextreme said:
Hmmm, just wondering, if buzz player and oplayer were so good, why are the ratings and reviews in appstore for both of them so low? Turns out that Avplayer is the better of the lot among them; not implying anything, just pointing that out as just moments ago, I was researching for the best media player and has read plenty on forums, including this. However, a read on appstore depicts a totally different picture (i.e. there are more favorable reviews and ratings for avplayerhd than buzzplayer and oplayer).

Depends on what people look for in a media player ie features and codec support. I needed something that plays back MKV files well and had some form of NAS support. Buzz was the first app I found that does all I need and it remains my favourite. You need to read why people have rated an app so low, it may a feature they expected that is not supported. Just saying Buzz is the best I have found for my needs but everyone is different.

mamurao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Noob here, i'm considering the following:

looking to stream music and vid from Dlink NAS DNS 323 hoping to bypass using itunes , which do u recommend, appreciate the response,

AvplayerHD -

Buzz Player -

Air player

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mamurao said:
Noob here, i'm considering the following:

looking to stream music and vid from Dlink NAS DNS 323 hoping to bypass using itunes , which do u recommend, appreciate the response,

AvplayerHD -

Buzz Player -

Air player

Consider AcePlayer & GoodPlayer too.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Donka will try

np. I have never used AVPlayer but many like it. AirPlayer is the sister app of OPlayer - AirPlayer is only for streaming content, OPlayer will only play local content. The other apps will do both so seem like the logical purchase. I have Buzz Player HD, GoodPlayer and AcePlayer and all three will do what you need. The latter two are universal apps so probably your best bet if you have both an iPhone & iPad.

mamurao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perfect sounds good, i read buzz player was good for streaming via UPNP but my DNS 323 dlink has issues streaming via UPNP. , let me try goodplayer and aceplayer. liking the ipad2 more :)

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Perfect sounds good, i read buzz player was good for streaming via UPNP but my DNS 323 dlink has issues streaming via UPNP. , let me try goodplayer and aceplayer. liking the ipad2 more :)

GoodPlayer will stream via uPNP or SMB but so will Buzz. I assume AcePlayer will be the same as well. They will all probably do a similar job.

mamurao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks , i read that buzz player is good on streaming UPNP but my dlink dns-323 has issues in streaming via upnp , i'll try good player and ace player , cheers, liking the ipad2 more now ,i have file browser but it does not recognized the video files but good for pictures and mp3.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thanks , i read that buzz player is good on streaming UPNP but my dlink dns-323 has issues in streaming via upnp , i'll try good player and ace player , cheers, liking the ipad2 more now ,i have file browser but it does not recognized the video files but good for pictures and mp3.

Good luck and keep us posted. Out the two apps you mention, GoodPlayer is the most mature and actively developed at the moment if that helps your decision. All three stream flawlessly from my NAS though so the apps themselves are fine.

yusufjee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So no one has tried flex:player which is a FREE application and plays everything smooth except mkv which stutters.

Also is there a way of increasing volume in these applications? Some of the videos i watchi have low volume and its hard to hear without complete silence. I am wondering which of the applications mentioned in this thread has setting to increase/gain the playback volume

scottnsf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
playback volume

i've found that it's not so much the player (xcept for VLC) but often how the vid was done. so i just got a little $15 external stereo speaker and use it when i feel the need.

Acextreme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So no one has tried flex:player which is a FREE application and plays everything smooth except mkv which stutters.

FlexPlayer has a serious lack in its file management capability, which is totally unacceptable for, I believe, most of us. However, at the price of zero, you can't really demand too much. I have tried most of the players on my iPhone 4, most of them stutters or can't play .mkv with h264 encodes at resolution of 1280x720 fluidly. Of those players that stutters, AVPlayer did the playback much more efficiently (i.e. video was relatively smoother and the lag between audio and video being the least though still unacceptable). GoodPlayer and AcePlayer failed to even play the video, only sound.

Last edited:

Most reactions