What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best video player apps for ipad

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How am I like the only person who brings up XBMC as the most amazing player for the iPad? I don't get it. Sure its interface sucks because its not optimized for touch, but it streams flawlessly off of network shares and can play HD mkv files flawlessly which no other player can do.

Anthy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After trying out more apps including oplayer hd and I believe I tried most other video and media player apps on my iPad 1 ( not JB). For me, the best app remains Azul Media player. Everything I trow at it, plays perfectly. Also to be able to download from within the app and save is awsome. And if I find an exeption on a certain format that doesn't play in Azul, I use Xilisoft iPad magic for a fast conversion. Azul is stll the only one that has all the features I need and more.
Support is also incredible as the developer answers within a couple of hours and works on your ideas and tips. For 99 cents it's a giveaway and I strongly recommend it.

OmarKN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
(1) I currently use:[/B]
- BUZZ Player: good playback on most formats (excellent for FLV, which is handy), reasonable settings/options, OK GUI, subtitles handled (.srt or .sub with same name as movie is picked up automatically, muxed subs not recognised)...

Thank you for the info,

but as for the BUZZ Player,

does it play videos /YouTube off-line?

/ OmarKN

gdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad100 said:
Of the players I tried here is my subjective assessment.

(1) I currently use:
- BUZZ Player: good playback on most formats (excellent for FLV, which is handy), reasonable settings/options, OK GUI, subtitles handled (.srt or .sub with same name as movie is picked up automatically, muxed subs not recognised)
- OPlayer HD: good playback on most formats (better than BUZZ for WMV), reasonable settings.options, basic GUI, handles subtitles

Does anyone know the difference between OplayerHD lite and OplayerHD?

Btw I have the VLC player. What a piece of garbage. One can't play movies saved to app without being on line (even though it's not streaming) and worse, if the wifi connection isn't isn't the best, the video will stop, claim it's buffering and won't start up again. This really pisses me of and makes the app completely useless IMO.

thehappyman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use GoodReader and have at least Ten MP4 HD videos on it which play perfectly (and can be password protected). I think it uses Media Player.

gdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanx Donka.

Someone mentioned that the iPad hardware player was the best video player but I doubt it. I have an hd tv show that I captured with some Haupage hardware and converted to mp4 using handbrake. It plays perfectly in iTunes but, maddeningly, the only way I can transfer this video to my ipad2 is to use the advanced tab to "create an iPad version" which cuts the resolution in half. How is this better than using OPlayer HD which plays the original mp4 file just fine and ...
Why should I have to sacrifice quality if I want to use an apple product? What BS!

Last edited:

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
gdg said:
Thanx Donka.

Someone mentioned that the iPad hardware player was the best video player but I doubt it. I have an hd tv show that I captured with some Haupage hardware and converted to mp4 using handbrake. It plays perfectly in iTunes but, maddeningly, the only way I can transfer this video to my ipad2 is to use the advanced tab to "create an iPad version" which cuts the resolution in half. How is this better than using OPlayer HD which plays the original mp4 file just fine and ...
Why should I have to sacrifice quality if I want to use an apple product? What BS!

The stock video player uses hardware acceleration so should be capable of playing back more demanding content provided it uses the correct codecs of video and audio. I believe it is limited to 720p material though due to the iPad screen resolution. Some third party players have an option to use hardware acceleration as well but again this is only to use the officially supported codecs and containers mandated by Apple.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

gdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like I said, you can get better quality from the stock player so long as you buy every thing from the iTunes store. This is the kind of crap that is driving people to jailbreak ( which I'm seriously considering).

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Like I said, you can get better quality from the stock player so long as you buy every thing from the iTunes store. This is the kind of crap that is driving people to jailbreak ( which I'm seriously considering).

You can buy apps that will allow you to sideload 720p MKV files without iTunes and play it back smoothly - at least on the iPad 2 without the need for jailbreaking.

gdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not really clear on the ins and outs of software vs hardware players or "sideloading" so I'll defer to those who know more. Any suggestions on a "sideloading" player (does OplayerHD do this?).

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
gdg said:
I'm not really clear on the ins and outs of software vs hardware players or "sideloading" so I'll defer to those who know more. Any suggestions on a "sideloading" player (does OplayerHD do this?).

Yes it does. By side loading I just mean being able to add the movies directly to the app without syncing through iTunes. Many can do this through iTunes file sharing or by wifi transfer from a network share. OPlayer actually does both and there is a lite version for you to experiment with.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts