What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best size / resolution for the new iPad?

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Given that the new iPad screen resolution is 2048-by-1536-pixel resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi), would the best size picture to get be 2048 x 2048? I ask because the ideal resolution for the initial iPad and 2 are 1024 x 1024, and their screen size is 1024 x 768, and so it seems logical for the 2048 x 1536 best size to be 2048 x 2048. Harder to come by these, but I guess any high res square would be appropriate?

Thanks for help with this.

Sleaka J

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, 2048 x 2048 images is what you use for the new iPad. When you rotate the screen, the wallpaper also rotates, both sides of the wallpaper have to be the largest number of the resolution (just like you pointed out the previous iPad wallpapers were 1024 x 1024).

cirrostratus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pnforpk said:
Thanks!! These are some really cool w-papers for new ipad! Great sharing! :)

I have an iPad3 so how come when I check my screen size online with one of those "what is my screen size" web pages, it comes back as 1024x768 and not the 2048 that is advertised. I've compared my unit with my friends iPad2 and there is no doubt I've got a 3, so what gives?

Sleaka J

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad3 so how come when I check my screen size online with one of those "what is my screen size" web pages, it comes back as 1024x768 and not the 2048 that is advertised. I've compared my unit with my friends iPad2 and there is no doubt I've got a 3, so what gives?
If it makes you feel any better, my iPad3 also says 1024 x 768. But the real reason is that these websites don't physically look at the highest possible resolution of the screen, they enable a way to figure out the current resolution via software (javascript I assume), but they aren't always right. I had a customer ring up at work and abuse us because his Samsung Windows 7 tablet that we sold him was reporting a different resolution on one of those "what is my screen size" web pages that what the drivers were reporting. We had a good laugh about it.

Most reactions

Latest posts