What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BEST PDF Reader for an iPad?

TruthSeeker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a new woman-user to this site. I just bought a new iPad Mini 3 and I'm eager to read PDF files on it.

I want to have the ability to highlight text and send the highlighted text to Evernote. I also don't want to be able to alter the highlighted text so that I can't accidentally edit the highlighted text and that the author's words(the highlighted text) isn't changed in any way.

There's a malfunction with my iTunes so I don't think I can use iBooks.

I'd appreciate any help!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iBooks doesn't have much in the way of annotation features anyway.

My favorite tool for PDF annotation is PDF Expert by Readdle. When you send the finished/annotated PDF to Evernote from PDF Expert you can choose to flatten the copy. This will bake in the annotations so they can't be edited or changed in the Evernote copy.

Hold in mind you can also annotate PDF files in Evernote itself, but the tools are more limited and there is no way (that I know of) to lock the PDF from further changes. The tools are the same as the Skitch app that many of us use to markup screenshots before we post them here.

But there are literally dozens of good PDF annotation apps out there. I'm sure you'll get some other suggestions. If you need something immediately while you explore your options, the free Adobe Reader app will probably do what you want, and it's free.

OP
T

TruthSeeker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iBooks doesn't have much in the way of annotation features anyway.

My favorite tool for PDF annotation is PDF Expert by Readdle. When you send the finished/annotated PDF to Evernote from PDF Expert you can choose to flatten the copy. This will bake in the annotations so they can't be edited or changed in the Evernote copy.

Hold in mind you can also annotate PDF files in Evernote itself, but the tools are more limited and there is no way (that I know of) to lock the PDF from further changes. The tools are the same as the Skitch app that many of us use to markup screenshots before we post them here.

But there are literally dozens of good PDF annotation apps out there. I'm sure you'll get some other suggestions. If you need something immediately while you explore your options, the free Adobe Reader app will probably do what you want, and it's free.

OP
T

TruthSeeker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How can I choose an app that I can trust with my privacy like the ebooks I'm reading?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
How do I add PDF files I want to read?

It varies by app. In general you can use use iTunes on a computer, DropBox or other cloud storage, email them to yourself, or download them from the web then use Open in to copy them to you app. PDF Expert can do all of these. Most apps can do more than one of these.

The exact method will depend on the app.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
How can I choose an app that I can trust with my privacy like the ebooks I'm reading?

Again, it varies by app.

PDF Expert give you a passcode option, so they you'll need to enter a passcode every time you open the app. Other apps may give you the ability to protect individual files or folders. iBooks offer's no security beyond the passcode or password you use to lock your iPad.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426024103.947433.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts