What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best notetaker apps?

this man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I've been trying Notablity and Notes Plus on my iPad 2. At this stage I prefer Notability although I'll still see if I can get used to Notes Plus.

I find the handwriting to text conversion in Notes Plus to be too unreliable although I'm guessing that could be because of the bad writing I have with my Targus stylus pen. When I first installed Notes Plus it seemed really slow to load pages. But when I restarted my iPad it seemed to speed up noticeably. Maybe that's because i had less running in the background?

I prefer Notability for its UI. It's not as good as Notes Plus with grabbing things from web pages but I did just download Skitch for the iPad so I'll give that a try. I'm used to using Skitch on my MacBook Pro. I find I get slightly put off by having to swipe all the time in Notes Plus to get to things. But it's early days yet so it's not impossible I'll change my mind in a few weeks or so.

I don't plan to make long hand written essays on my iPad. I expect to use my stylus pen just for short notes for my university studies and in my business. Until now I've been using GoodReader but its lack of a global search function made me want to change.

this man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After having more of a play with Notes Plus I'm finding it a bit more reliable with handwriting to text conversion. I think think I've been guilty of pressing down too hard with my stylus pen.

I have noticed Notability seems to create big file sizes with hand written text when they are more than a few pages. This seems to slow it down. When I have time I'll have to see if this is a problem in Notes Plus. Has anybody noticed anything with this issue?

valinrace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would highly suggest Microsofts Onenote too. :) Try downloading that App it is really helpful.

drnhlau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
this man said:
After having more of a play with Notes Plus I'm finding it a bit more reliable with handwriting to text conversion. I think think I've been guilty of pressing down too hard with my stylus pen.

I have noticed Notability seems to create big file sizes with hand written text when they are more than a few pages. This seems to slow it down. When I have time I'll have to see if this is a problem in Notes Plus. Has anybody noticed anything with this issue?

Not so far, it's a wonderful app

tomapp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Diane B said:
BG, I love Noteshelf. I have quite a number of note taking apps and this is probably my favorite. If you want to use handwriting it is probably the best out there--totally like using a ballpoint when I use my Adonit Jot stylus. They have added typed text too and you can add photos and write "over" them--lots you can do. I bought Notability not too long ago and its rising in favor but I use it more for other things than just notetaking altho" it handles them well. Handwriting and text also. I'd decide which is more important and choose one based on that. I have had had Notetaker HD for a good long while but don't use it anymore. It may even be archived right now.

Diane

Another vote for Noteshelf. I've tried quite a few note taking apps, mostly for meetings at work and this is the best so far. NIce smooth writing, a great interface and the ability to sort notes into folders make it a great app all round. The developers also seem pretty active and recent updates have added some nice features, adding text and photos has really made the app even more useful.

The two things I'd like to see added are the ability to add basic shapes such as squares, circles and lines, and the ability to zoom in on any area of the page (not just using the text zoom box) as this enables you to create much more detailed and accurate notes. I'd also like the ability to draw freehand shapes to cut and paste, rather than the default square.

I've used this with a couple of styluses and it does a pretty good job with all of them.

I'd previously used Penultimate which has a similar interface, but you can't sort notes into folders.

PatriciaF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have been looking for an app now for days and it is driving me crazy~ I searched everywhere and I can't recall where I saw this one app that I HAVE to HAVE! Itthink it was a reminder or note taker and all the reminders/notes are on shelves that look like a bookcase (wood)- On each shelve has the words similar to : High Priority - Mid and Low Priority... Please please if anyone ever runs across this one let me know!! The cost at that time (about 4 days ago) was 99 cents.Thank you and have a great weekend!

Last edited:

PatriciaF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PatriciaF was it Noteshelf?
Hi this man....Thank you for your answer but no it's not... This one looks like iBooks shelf but on each shelf has High Priority, Medium Priority and Low Priority on the front of the shelf, you can put notes on whatever shelft you want.... back 4 days or maybe 5 now it was 99cents. I am still looking and yesterday I was online for 4 hours but still no luck. I'm beginning to think that maybe just maybe it is being updated or they took it off iTunes (which I also checked)... It is either a note taker, a reminder or a to do list... I can't remember!! Have a great Sunday, Pat

PatriciaF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Found it, oh joy oh joy!!!! It is called Orderly and it is for the iPhone. I hope they made a version for the iPad. Thanks again for your
reply this man!! Ok I feel a happy dance coming on lol

Most reactions

Latest posts