What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Buy offers iPad 2 for $449

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Hey everyone, just wanted to give you all a heads up,

Best Buy is currently offering the ipad 2 for 50 dollars off regular price at $449! Heres your chance to own an ipad for a steal!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iam really tempted to buy the ipad 2 at this price but i think i will waite for the ipad 3

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I noticed that BB just dropped the price. There's a computer store Microcenter (it's in several states spread out the US but only has like 20 something retail stores) and actually, they have already been offering it for $50 off since at least November 2011.
I ended up just getting one now, even with the 3 coming. The 2 was given as a gift from hubby, and it's not like I was going to turn it down. I wasn't planning on getting it and was just going to have the 1 until the 1's battery died or it became firmware obsolete. But here I am, and I'm not complaining!

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just got that deal last night. No biggie that 3's coming out to me! In fact I kinda plan it that way with all my iPads and iPhones. I've never bought the latest as it came out and always upgrade a year or so after for the deals. Besides im sure even my iPad 1 will last for years still, just will have to stick with the latest firmware that works with it and not update apps that require later firmware. Not rocket science.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not bad, but it will be even more intriguing when they start to take a hundred or more off. Then I could be coerced into grabbing a second one.

;)

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Husq250 said:
I just got that deal last night. No biggie that 3's coming out to me! In fact I kinda plan it that way with all my iPads and iPhones. I've never bought the latest as it came out and always upgrade a year or so after for the deals. Besides im sure even my iPad 1 will last for years still, just will have to stick with the latest firmware that works with it and not update apps that require later firmware. Not rocket science.

That's a good point about the 1, that it would still keep performing at whatever firmware works with it. I definitely see a few more years use out of it. That was my plan anyway, but like I said, I wasn't about to turn down having a 2. I've spent the last 10 months saying no, and he finally decided the heck with it and surprised me last week. My iPhones, well that's where I do end up getting the updated one every year. I always say, just skip this year, but can't seem to. But I will still use my 1. I confess that I haven't used the 1 since I got the 2 almost a week ago, but I will bring it out again.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Depends on which apps you use and on whether the developer will continue supporting the older version(s). If I remember right, I had one or two apps that were upgraded and forced me to upgrade in order to continue using them, and that was on iPad 1 and 2.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
s2mikey said:
Not bad, but it will be even more intriguing when they start to take a hundred or more off. Then I could be coerced into grabbing a second one.

;)

I bet they'll drop it another $50 but I doubt an additional $100+. iPads hold their value well. I looked on CL and amazon to price one of my 1's before I sold it and got $300 for it. Hopefully soon after the 3s announcement they'll drop 2s by $50 and I'll get best buy to do a price match.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Depends on which apps you use and on whether the developer will continue supporting the older version(s). If I remember right, I had one or two apps that were upgraded and forced me to upgrade in order to continue using them, and that was on iPad 1 and 2.

Yeah I think an apps upgrade will force the user to upgrade the ipads firmware but I've never had an app force an upgrade to continue its use. After all it's up to us to choose upgrades or not. The iPad I sold was running 4.3.4 I believe and and it worked very well and has and excellent battery life. Now I couldn't get the latest version of "pages" because it needed 5.0.1 but the version of pages it had worked well on it.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bet they'll drop it another $50 but I doubt an additional $100+. iPads hold their value well. I looked on CL and amazon to price one of my 1's before I sold it and got $300 for it. Hopefully soon after the 3s announcement they'll drop 2s by $50 and I'll get best buy to do a price match.

Hard to tell, but try checking various places if you're looking for an iPad 2 at discount. After iPad 2 was announced, Apple dropped iPad 1 by $100. But I got my husband one for $200 off at Verizon. They went fast, of course.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I think an apps upgrade will force the user to upgrade the ipads firmware but I've never had an app force an upgrade to continue its use. After all it's up to us to choose upgrades or not. The iPad I sold was running 4.3.4 I believe and and it worked very well and has and excellent battery life. Now I couldn't get the latest version of "pages" because it needed 5.0.1 but the version of pages it had worked well on it.

It's been a while, but I remember being annoyed because I wanted to keep using an old (un-upgraded) app or two, and was forced to upgrade. The developer must've quit supporting it, because every time I tried to open, a popup kept insisting that I migrate my stuff and wouldn't let me move past that point. Like I said, probably depends on what apps you're using and how much developer support is needed.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thats quite odd. Hope that isnt a normal way things work on the older devices. Would kinda defeat the purpose. These dang things are too expensive to be rendered inoperable in two years.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
It's been a while, but I remember being annoyed because I wanted to keep using an old (un-upgraded) app or two, and was forced to upgrade. The developer must've quit supporting it, because every time I tried to open, a popup kept insisting that I migrate my stuff and wouldn't let me move past that point. Like I said, probably depends on what apps you're using and how much developer support is needed.

ARRRGH! You are correct!! So ironic we just discussed this and my son fires up a game on my iPad gen 1. WITHOUT allowing us to continue it says; new update available, please go to app store for latest version. How the heck can they do this?? Especially if I PAY for an app, not allow me to play a perfectly working app and force a possibly faltering updated version?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ARRRGH! You are correct!! So ironic we just discussed this and my son fires up a game on my iPad gen 1. WITHOUT allowing us to continue it says; new update available, please go to app store for latest version. How the heck can they do this?? Especially if I PAY for an app, not allow me to play a perfectly working app and force a possibly faltering updated version?

Pretty much the way with tech. As long as there are software dependencies, you're at the mercy of whoever maintains or updates the software.

I have a hardware graveyard, like many people. The hardware kept working long after the software.

With iPads, there probably will be indefinite continued basic functions like music and photos. I would expect app functionality to keep dropping off as a device ages, and as developers move on to new versions and new revenue.

Most reactions

Latest posts