What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bento

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Bento app has been discontinued, on both iOS and the Mac. There will be no more updates or changes. I recommend you use the methods mentioned to export it as a csv file, and start looking for a new database app.

If you've included pictures or other media files, these will not export with the csv file. Only basic text and number fields export cleanly (if I remember right). The only way I know of that 'might' allow a full export/import of a Bento database is to upgrade to the OS X FileMaker Pro app. This option is too expensive for most of us, as well as overkill. It's a professional level app. {the FileMaker Pro app on the iPad is meant to work with the OS X version, not as a standalone}

If there are any other migration options I am not aware of them. There might be something hidden on the FileMaker Pro site, or contacting the developers might net a better suggestion.

Good luck.

fullatunes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the update on Bento. Kind of lousy to spend all that time designing a database and then building it up, only to have them dump it.

I was drawn to Bento, since I already use Filemaker at work ( we have Filemaker 12s for each company member, and the Filemaker Server software). Sounds like doing something with Filemaker with this database is my next step. I can start hunting through the Filemaker resources, which are many. If you have any thoughts on where to start, I'd be grateful.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry. I'm afraid I don't use FileMaker myself. It's too expensive for my modest personal needs. I've been considering FormConnect or HanDBase as a replacement, but have not tested either of them yet. I'm procrastinating, since the few databases I use are not critical, and still work. I do have exports of them, just in case.

FromConnect is iPad only. Not a deal killer, but an inconvenience for some uses.

HanDBase needs more investigation. It's improved a lot from when I first saw it (pre iOS days).

Most reactions

Latest posts