What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Been so long since Ive been here that I feel New again.

n0m0n

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure if there's an issue with my new iPad Pro 12.9 or not.

I was unable to charge up my iPad Pro due to traveling so when I got to the hotel I plugged it in charged it up and I held down the power button for five seconds… it wouldn’t turn on.

I found the only way to get my iPad to power on was to press the volume up volume down and hold the power button for 5-10 seconds.

Is this normal or a problem? I normally don’t let my devices go that low before charging them up…

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is not normal. Given the circumstances it might be a one time problem, something that got glitched due to unusually low power. To be sure, go ahead and power the iPad off, then see if it can be turned back on normally.

If this works, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. If it does not work as it should, and the iPad is still under warrantee, I’d contact Apple with the info and see what your options are. If a store is nearby a visit to have it checked out would be good.

In the future, if the iPad gets so low it forces a shutdown, do not leave it uncharged for more than a day or two. Also, before trying to turn it back on, let it charge for at least 30 minutes first.

Last I checked, Apple recommends you store your iPad at ½ to ¾ charge if you are going to leave it unplugged for and extended period (a few months). Shut off, or course.

OP
N

n0m0n

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is not normal. Given the circumstances it might be a one time problem, something that got glitched due to unusually low power. To be sure, go ahead and power the iPad off, then see if it can be turned back on normally.

If this works, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. If it does not work as it should, and the iPad is still under warrantee, I’d contact Apple with the info and see what your options are. If a store is nearby a visit to have it checked out would be good.

In the future, if the iPad gets so low it forces a shutdown, do not leave it uncharged for more than a day or two. Also, before trying to turn it back on, let it charge for at least 30 minutes first.

Last I checked, Apple recommends you store your iPad at ½ to ¾ charge if you are going to leave it unplugged for and extended period (a few months). Shut off, or course.
Thanks for replying.

This happened twice since I purchased it when it was first offered a few months ago.

I was able to shut the pad down via Settings | General | Shut Down, and it did restart as normal press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds..

I am going to let it run down and shut off, then charge it up for about an hour to see if it'll restart as normal.

If it does then guess it was a fluke, if not I will need to reach out to Apple one way or another...

Thank you again

Most reactions

Latest posts