What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery problem with ipad2?

pudongski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try turning off the smart cover feature and see if you still get the same drain over 6 hours.

Is that suppose to drain quicker when the smart cover function is on? I am really sorry for my questions, i am very much new to ipad that's why i may ask questions u think isnt worth asking.

ZibaWal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
donka said:
Try turning off the smart cover feature and see if you still get the same drain over 6 hours.

I did find to make difference:)

HerbalTBag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad2 battery drains even when it is off. Does anyone else have this problem? I can charge it to 100% at night and by morning it is down to 90% without even using it. I am using the smart cover to turn it on and off -- I have the setting for the cover on "ON".

Fred.

That don't sound right at all. I use mine all day, I have the brightness turned down greatly but it makes it last. You definitely need to take it to apple and have them check it out.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have heard that in a few cases, the smart cover can move during different activities, turning the iPad off and on. It could be that a cover is the problem in that case. However, most battery issues are due to not doing the proper exercising of the battery. If you do not drain it down on occassion, it will lose memory of the full battery capacity and needs to be retaught.

mtbruck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine was doing the same

My did the same...I drained it completely, then recharged it fully. It works perfectly now. Give it a try!

My ipad2 battery drains even when it is off. Does anyone else have this problem? I can charge it to 100% at night and by morning it is down to 90% without even using it. I am using the smart cover to turn it on and off -- I have the setting for the cover on "ON".

Fred.

That don't sound right at all. I use mine all day, I have the brightness turned down greatly but it makes it last. You definitely need to take it to apple and have them check it out.

gortyargen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure the smart cover function isn't to blame. I don't think the battery life is as good with my iPad 2 as it was with the iPad 1.

LynM

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Fred.

:mad: My battery lasts about one day maybe two at most when reading.
We were on a cruise and I was reading and the battery would drain very quickly. It definitely doesn't last weeks as they claim but just a day or two at most. I had only had it a few weeks so it's not old. It's an ipad2.

:mad: It is IMPOSSIBLE to see the screen to read outdoors which is a shame as that's what I assume most people do - or want to do when on vacation. Of course when you purchase it you're indoors so wouldn't know this.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
:mad: My battery lasts about one day maybe two at most when reading.
We were on a cruise and I was reading and the battery would drain very quickly. It definitely doesn't last weeks as they claim but just a day or two at most. I had only had it a few weeks so it's not old. It's an ipad2.

:mad: It is IMPOSSIBLE to see the screen to read outdoors which is a shame as that's what I assume most people do - or want to do when on vacation. Of course when you purchase it you're indoors so wouldn't know this.

How many hours a day are you reading. You appear to be thinking of the standby time, in use they reckon 10 hours although you will get more if you are conservative with the likes of brightness, wireless and power use.

As for the screen, this is not really designed for reading outdoors but the best fit here is to get an antiglare screen protector and also put your brightness up full - it should then be possible albeit not as easy as something like a Kindle which is designed for this.

msny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Theres also possibility that, thanks to damn multitasking, some of your apps are still on the run, hit the home button twice, the apps now popping up on the bottom are apps still running and draining battery life. Push and hold these, like deleting normal apps you can close them and battery will life longer again.

I woukl suggest that once and a while you do the above, along
with the overnight charge, or just shut it down completly.

msny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those with battery issues read this.

Apple - Batteries

Ues your iPad until the battery is drained, then
set overnight for a recharge.

Many batteries, if charged at or near where they were
previously charged at (say 40%) will tend to be
depleted faster down to that 40% level.

Rule of thumb, deplete the battery once a month, and
you will maximize the charge over the long run.

Last edited:

Manchoa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.catarsis.eu
charged my iPad 2 overnight and disconnected this morning at about 7 o´clock. Read morning news and emails and surfed a little (over wifi). Maybe about 30-40 minutes. Drived to my workplace, a little surfing now and then and some videos from youtube (over wifi), read and write some mails, did some of my work stuff that i can do with iPad, later at home again some web surfing, e-mails, news and videos. About an hour or more of games and a lot of "fooling around" with my music apps (I use iPad for musicmaking a lot). I´m not sure, how many hours I worked with my iPad 2 all in all, but now its 22:20 and I have still about 20% of battery life !
I use the smart cover. So no complain here.

Gabeline

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I drained the battery completely more often than once per month would that have any negative effect on the battery? The reason I'm asking is because I usually do drain it completely but yesterday I didn't and it drained five percent overnight on standby directly after a 100% charge. I turned it on this morning and it said 100% for an instant then dropped to 95. It was in airplane mode all night.

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I had a similar problem, except after downloading iOS5 [and that seemed to go smoothly], my iPad2 [nearing the end of its first 8 months or so] now discharges from 100% to 2% over night. Over night being about 12 hours. That includes activating the "power down switch" I thing iOS5 turned lots of things on "expecting" us to "always" put on over night charge. I went through and turned everything off within reason, so I re-visited that action. [I forgot those "multi-tasking icons use plenty of power even when the system seems to be off.]

I also noticed that there seems to be lots being uploaded to the iCloud. A current "sucker" and with my 64GB wifi iPads, not really required.
Some things to learn for sure.
Mel

PTLinsongz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Three things: 1) These batteries periodically need to be fully drained and charged for whatever reasons (battery memory effect? calibration?), 2) Heat is an enemy to electronics, including the battery. Batteries spending long periods of time on charge are dealing with heat buildup - I would not recommend fully draining and charging on a regular basis for this reason, 3) Another enemy to batteries is leaving them uncharged for long periods of time.

Gabeline

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yikes. Yeah I won't be upgrading my OS any time soon. When you say power down, you mean you are actually holding it down and competely turning it off? That would frustrate me like crazy :/

Good info, PT. I go through a complete charge about once (sometimes twice) per week and was always draining it completely down but I didn't even think about the heat issue. I never leave it uncharged for periods of time ;) (however, that is good to know for my other batteries--thanks)

Most reactions

Latest posts