What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery problem with ipad2?

mbern1008

iPF Noob
Reaction score
timurmekhdiev said:
i charge my ipad overnight then put it on sleep, after 8 hours it's still on 100% but when i use it the battery drains very fast for example on brightness a bit less than medium, when i watch a movie on avplayerHD, 1% in 5 minutes. i can't understand if this is normal

The rated battery life is ten hours

@10% an hour that would be a 1% drop every 6 minutes of use. Sounds normal to me.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is my understanding, that only the native Video app uses hardware acceleration, meaning that all third-party apps have to rely on software acceleration, thus draining the battery slightly faster.

Third party apps can use hardware acceleration as well but only on Supported formats e.g. mp4, mov etc.

ZibaWal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did some one try turning smart cover, sleep function off in setting and see if it helps battery life?

pudongski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
6% drain in 30 mins using safari? Normal?

Is that normal that my battery of the ipad 2 drains quicker i think, like 6% in almost 30 mins using only safari??? The first 2-4 days of the ipad 2 is not a battery drainer as it is now... Please help what could be wrong?

EIGHTYTHREE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pudongski said:
Is that normal that my battery of the ipad 2 drains quicker i think, like 6% in almost 30 mins using only safari??? The first 2-4 days of the ipad 2 is not a battery drainer as it is now... Please help what could be wrong?

That seems to be "about" right..if my math is correct..say drain 10% in 1 hour. If thats all you did in 100% of your battery life that would be 10hrs! 10hrs is the esitmated batt life.

ZibaWal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ZibaWal said:
Did some one try turning smart cover, sleep function off in setting and see if it helps battery life?

I turned my off, seems to last longer

pudongski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pudongski said:

That seems to be "about" right..if my math is correct..say drain 10% in 1 hour. If thats all you did in 100% of your battery life that would be 10hrs! 10hrs is the esitmated batt life.

Would that be fine even " just using safari"? I just thought this isnt the same as a month ago when i just bought my ipad 2. Thank you still

pudongski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This morning, my battery is like 6% draining in 30 mins approx, however now, its like 5% in 15 mins with only using safari??? Is this normal, it's getting frustrating. It's very obvious that my ipad 2 is draining quicker than before?

EIGHTYTHREE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pudongski said:
This morning, my battery is like 6% draining in 30 mins approx, however now, its like 5% in 15 mins with only using safari??? Is this normal, it's getting frustrating. It's very obvious that my ipad 2 is draining quicker than before?

Maybe kill of some of your applications...double tap your home button. This pulls up your mutitask apps. Long press on one until it wiggles. Scroll and kill all or which ever apps you want. Under normal circumstances the iOS suspense apps from running when not in use but maybe you have some rogue app or something.

Also, go in seetings, general and restriction and turn off Ping.

Honestly, i think your ipad battery is fine...maybe you should go into setting and turn off the percentage indicator on your battery, enjoy your new ipad and not worry about it.

Lastly, if this doesnt satisfy you, take it back and get another one...im not sure what else anyone can tell you.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When fully charged, it does seem to hang around 100% for a while which I think gives a false sense of longevity. When it starts to drop a few percent, it may appear that battery usage is speeding up. As has been stated in previous replies - 10 hours use equates to 1% every 6 minutes but of course reviews have found battery life can last well over 10 hours under favourable circumstances and much less under stress. I think your figures seem fairly accurate. If you are on Safari, you are presumably on Wifi too which uses up battery. What is your screen brightness at? Are you only uses Safari or anything else? Is bluetooth on even if not connected to anything?

mtbruck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine works great...now!

I decided to completely drain the battery and now it is working like it should. Once I had it completely drained, I charged it fully and it holds the charge very well and my battery life is wonderful.

pudongski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When fully charged, it does seem to hang around 100% for a while which I think gives a false sense of longevity. When it starts to drop a few percent, it may appear that battery usage is speeding up. As has been stated in previous replies - 10 hours use equates to 1% every 6 minutes but of course reviews have found battery life can last well over 10 hours under favourable circumstances and much less under stress. I think your figures seem fairly accurate. If you are on Safari, you are presumably on Wifi too which uses up battery. What is your screen brightness at? Are you only uses Safari or anything else? Is bluetooth on even if not connected to anything?

Thanks Donka and Eightythree. I guess i should not worry too much. I just thought my ipad 2 can last for like 2 days with minimal usage with just using the smart cover for sleep. Thanks for the tip @eightythree. Last question, while ipad is at sleep mode is it ok to drain like 2-4% for 6 hours while ipad is technically at sleep and smart cover is on? Thanks sooo much guys. Nice forum :D

From Manila, Ph

EIGHTYTHREE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last question, while ipad is at sleep mode is it ok to drain like 2-4% for 6 hours while ipad is technically at sleep and smart cover is on? Thanks sooo much guys. Nice forum :D

From Manila, Ph

You're welcome....YMMV but yes you will see drain while in sleep mode because while sleeping the os has to use alittle power, although its minimum its still power consumption. Sleep isnt the same as a device that is completely off/shutdown which uses zero power (obviously)! So, yes that is normal.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try turning off the smart cover feature and see if you still get the same drain over 6 hours.

Most reactions

Latest posts