What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backlighting vs. no backlighting...

Blind

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Kindle reader which I'm debating on selling via eBay or Craigslist. I thought I'd read a book on my iPad & upon completion, read one more on my Kindle & then decide whether to keep it or not. I'm not talking about a Kindle app on iPad vs. iBooks, but contrasting hardware.

I work in front of a computer screen roughly 8 hours a day, so--when I got my Kindle I was delighted there was no backlight. I could read when I got home from work w/out irritating my eyes any further. I'm almost finished w/the book (777 pages), which I'm reading via the Kindle app on my iPad & I must say, I can really feel the strain.

Does anyone have any feedback on their experience w/the lighting issue. Another thing is the reflections I get on my iPad from lighting. If I try to sneak in 20 minutes of reading during my work break the overhead lights give an annoying glare causing me to have to angle the iPad in a way that's not ergonomically comfortable. That combined w/the weight of the iPad again causes me to yearn for my Kindle. The biggest issue for me though is the backlighting. Holding something that glows that close to my face for hours cannot be a good thing.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife and I have had no issues...but to each their own...some might prefer this or not. Personally at night even with a lamp on with our non-backlit Sony eReaders it was more annoying to strain to read because of no backlighting.

You can always turn down the brightness.

As for the glare, there are anti-glare screens.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Kindle, but much prefer my iPad. I find reading more enjoyable than with the Kindle. The backlighting doesn't bother me at all. The only thing better for reading with the Kindle for me, is the lighter weight, and that's not enough of an issue for me to use it. I'm looking for someone to pass the Kindle along to as I know I'll never use it again.

edmouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it's possible most of the eyestrain comes from the backlight being up too high. I find I'm preferring reading on the iPad to a book! And I don't have to worry at all about having a reading light. But I don't like the backlight being bright so I just turn it down. It's very comfortable to read on it.

jmf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I completely understand what you mean about sitting in front of a computer all day. I have yet to find evidence that reading a book on an ipad is all that much better than a normal computer.

Is there anyone that the ipad is the first Apple product they purchased that feels it's better than a kindle?

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not me. The iPad is my first Apple product, but I think the Kindle is better for reading. I went with the iPad because it offers so many more functions; it's not terrible for reading, just not as good. I've read a book a week on the iPad since I bought it, so it's not slowing me down any.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I have an iPhone, but the screen was just to small to read on.... And my wife has never owned an Apple product (don't really know what that has to do with it, but you asked) and as I said above we love reading on the iPad and sold our eInk readers....

OP
Blind

Blind

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only thing better for reading with the Kindle for me, is the lighter weight, and that's not enough of an issue for me to use it. I'm looking for someone to pass the Kindle along to as I know I'll never use it again.

Yes, I was going to mention the weight, too. The HD space has it's cost. Passing the Kindle on to another is a pretty good idea, I thought of going that route too. I'm still going to read another book on the Kindle before I make up my mind to part w/it.

OP
Blind

Blind

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPhone, but the screen was just to small to read on.... And my wife has never owned an Apple product (don't really know what that has to do with it, but you asked) and as I said above we love reading on the iPad and sold our eInk readers....

I used the Kindle app on my iPhone & sent a few light-reading books to it, but never used it except initially to see if it worked.

Most reactions

Latest posts