What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Back of ipad 2 hot when charging?

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've never noticed this before, but I was just using my iPad while charging ( apple charge cord) and the back of it got pretty warm. Is that typical?
Thanks Annette

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've not noticed that on my iPad 1 or 2, but I use only a TPU silicone back on both devices. (I dislike portfolio cases and such.)

I read iPad 1's online manual awhile ago, and it said not to charge with the iPad in a case. The beefier the case, the more likely it will contribute to heating, I'm guessing.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This can also be a sign of the battery on the way out. How old is your iPad?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Videographer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad2 is charging right now. I've had it on for about an hour and the back is as cooooool as a cucumber.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Videographer said:
My iPad2 is charging right now. I've had it on for about an hour and the back is as cooooool as a cucumber.

As it should be :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
anmanwar

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmm I got my iPad 2 mis April....so it's only about 6 weeks old.

OP
anmanwar

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do have it in a leather portfolio, but it's never gotten hot while charging before. Also...this is a apple charge cord but it's the one with the "extension" in the middle. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

DQ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
anmanwar said:
I've never noticed this before, but I was just using my iPad while charging ( apple charge cord) and the back of it got pretty warm. Is that typical?
Thanks Annette

No, it shouldn't do that. Even when I charge mine in the case, it's never warm.

King.Khoja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I havnt had a problem with the back heating up when Im charging it. I sometimes use a case but usually I charge the unit while its naked and I dont seem to have any issues with the back heating up.

Blueface

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine does not change in temperature when charging, even if still plugged long after full charge is reached.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Devyn Quinn said:
No, it shouldn't do that. Even when I charge mine in the case, it's never warm.

Same, mine is in a third party full leather case, and it is cool to the touch, the psu on the other hand.... Anyone want a fry up?

Rlarson_mn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine is in a plastic protected back plate with the smart cover over the screen. My unit does not get warm at all but I agree with others that the AC brick does get hot while charging.

DeniseB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad2 does not heat up when being charged (even in case), but if I have it active for more than 30 minutes, the back gets really hot. Has anyone else experienced this? (heating up while in use)

CptChaos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The trick probably is "while using"

I suspect that you are using it with a battery intensive app (game or some such) while charging and it is not near to being fully charged. This will get the iPad to get some real curent flowing through the battery and that might explain the temperature. The batteries are located against the metal back and I think that this is on purpose for the back to double as a heatsink for the batteries. There is a reason why Apple states not to charge within a case. The heatsink function would be much less effective in such a case (pun intended).

Try charging it while not in use and see if it still gets warm (it shouldn't).

Most reactions

Latest posts