What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

automatic switching between 3G and wifi

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've tried searching with different parameters and also a different forum but didn't get a definitive answer to my question. I have read various places that the Ipad (I have Ipad 3/64GB 3G coming from Ipad 1 64GB wifi only for two years) will automatically switch from 3G to wifi when available or choosing which is stronger but in settings it says in order to restrict basically all data to wifi to turn off cell usage. So--I only turn on cell usage when I leave the house altho' I will encounter wifi all day various places. Since I have the bug where I often/usually have to reboot to get 3G to work I do that before leaving house/office so I don't have to deal with it when I need 3G. IF I knew it automatically switch I'd just leave cell usage on all the time. Anyone know the answer for sure? I'm on Verizon BTW.

Diane

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As long as you are near an open wifi signal, it will go with the wifi. You should only need to toggle them on and off if you do not want to use the wifi available, or you do not want your cell service active.

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks. I've been trying to find someone to give me a definitive answer. The note on the cell usage window in settings does say ”turn off cellular data to restrict all data to wifi..." so that seemed to suggest not always automatic switching but I haven't been able to find anything to say otherwise. In that case, all of us that have the bug when we manually switch just should leave cellular data on it would appear (unless when we are away from wifi and do NOT want anything downloaded like mail).

Diane

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also instead of rebooting try going into airplane mode and back to see if that resolves your 3G issue.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Diane mine switches all the the time. Wifi at home, then LTE outside the house on the way to work, and then wifi at work. I do make sure I don't do anything on LTE though, like download mail, unless I really want to use it. I'm hoarding my data so toward the end of my billing cycle I can get hog wild on cellular. :)

For some reason I don't have the switching problem that some others have reported. TGFT.

phoneboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even though I have full wifi signal, it still uses cellular data when iPad is in sleep mode

Lucky_Charms

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the new iPad LTE 64 gig. At first I would turn off the cellular access when I was in a wifi area then turned it back on when I left a wifi zone. The reason I did it was to conserve battery however I have since stopped doing that since the battery life is excellent regardless of whether I turn it on or off. Also, I do not have the automatic switching problem. It just works for me.

Perhaps you should do a complete restore of your device using iTunes to see if that gets rid of your bug. Just a thought.

rwpritchett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad uses massive amounts of data even though in WiFi area

I strongly suggest turning cellular data off when you don't need it. My new iPad (third generation, 32 Gig, 3G) just blew through 2 Gigs of cellular data in 2 days (!), even though I was at home and in my office, both of which have strong WiFi signals, for all but approximatly 20 minutes. I watched a couple of shows I had missed on Hulu+, which is apparently what pushed it over, although I believe it's syncing lots of other data via the cellular connection even though I've set it to use WiFi only. I only watch videos when I'm in one of my own WiFi networks (home or office). I checked yet again, and all of the functions and apps that you can tell not to use cellular were set properly. Unfortunately, you can't set the Hulu app to only use WiFi. I just forgot to turn cellular data back off after checking my usage status, and Verizon doesn't warn you until only 2% of your data remains. (It turns cellular data on automatically when you check usage status in settings.) I won't be renewing cellular data service any time soon. Be very careful, especially if you have a plan that charges for overages instead of simply shutting off cellular data when you reach your plan limit.

Most reactions

Latest posts