What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Autodesk Announces AutoCAD for iPad and iPhone

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

Autodesk has today announced its free AutoCAD WS mobile app for iPad and iPhone, which will enable the user to view, edit and share DWG files on their iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. Autodesk says that its aim with the new mobile app is to make AutoCAD “more accessible than ever for millions of professional designers and engineers worldwide.â€

The app uses an intuitive touch and gesture interface, enabling the user to accurately select, annotate and interact with AutoCAD drawings. Users will also have the facility to log onto a free online account from their iPad, iPhone or iPod touch and work on DWG files uploaded to their online workspace.

As far as viewing documents is concerned, AutoCAD WS supports Xrefs and image underlays, with Multi-Touch zoom and pan. To edit objects, simply tap to select them, and you can then move, rotate and scale them, as well as being able to draw rudimentary shapes, annotate text and measure distances. All edits and changes that you make will then be saved and stored in your online workspace.

For teams working on a project, the sharing options featured on the app will doubtless come in very handy indeed. For example, if your colleagues are editing a drawing at the same time as you, you’ll be able to view their edits in real time.

Autodesk has yet to reveal an exact release date for the app, other than "soon". Check out their website below for the latest news.

Source: Autodesk

Richard Rowe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I looked at the web site and I am not clear on if this is a stand alone app or you are getting a web connected app. I would love a stand alone app but is this part of their Butterfly Project where you must be connected to the internet? If anyone knows for sure let me know I was just going to buy CARTOMAP. Thanks

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It appears jut to be a viewer, a way to bring drawings with you. I seriously doubt anyone could do any drawing yet. The app is free, considering the prices Autodesk asks for a drawing version of Autocad, drawing with it is highly unlikely.

Most reactions