What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Austrian Sights

OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are quite a few things you can't do when you come to Mariazell at this time of the year. There's a ropeway to the top of Bürgeralm, which is only working on Saturday and Sunday in winter, e.g., a museums-tram that connects Mariazell with Erlaufsee, but only in summer...
The roads were clear, but hiking paths covered with snow.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Since I only had one day to rediscover the area, there was still enough left for me to do.
Here's what I visited on my second day there:
image.jpeg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are quite a few things you can't do when you come to Mariazell at this time of the year. There's a ropeway to the top of Bürgeralm, which is only working on Saturday and Sunday in winter, e.g., a museums-tram that connects Mariazell with Erlaufsee, but only in summer...
The roads were clear, but hiking paths covered with snow.
View attachment 70653
View attachment 70654
Since I only had one day to rediscover the area, there was still enough left for me to do.
Here's what I visited on my second day there:
View attachment 70655
Looks like you could have used some snowshoes on the hiking trails.

OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mitterbach am Erlaufsee

The name of this community (Mitterbach means something like "mid-stream") comes from a time, when Mitterbach was larger, and parts of it were located in Styria, others in Lower Austria. A stream called Erlauf divided the Styrian from the Lower Austrian parts of Mitterbach, and this stream is running through the village.
A few years ago, this was changed. Now, the Styrian part belongs to Sankt Sebastian, a village right next to Mariazell, while the part that belongs to Lower Austria, still is called Mitterbach.

This is the stream I'm talking about:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So, while standing on that bridge, taking pictures, I was on the borderline between Lower Austria and Styria. :)

As with every community in the Alps, there's a part of the village, concentrated in one place, with many houses widely scattered across the municipal area.
Here's a small part of Mitterbach, with it's two churches (Catholic and Protestant) visible:
image.jpeg

Protestant church:
4d95f4f6c82ffb56b6a448d60034a1cd.jpg

Catholic church:
2b9bb3b2d95c8217c2fd7647dcdf2952.jpg

The main part of Mitterbach lies at the foot of Gemeindealpe. A chair lift goes to the middle of the mountain, and another one to the top.
image.jpeg

1771096f5754a972883a45f8e1f91546.jpg

It was operating when I visited Mitterbach, and many people were skiing on that day.

A few other photos from Mitterbach:
f516c22e990011467e94ffee7eb754c2.jpg

a9dcf2d732a5efc732a5e4728d6366b7.jpg

e5d2137575b997d8dd455c8c14ef13aa.jpg

A part of Mitterbach is located at Erlaufsee, and that was my next station.

Last edited:
OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Erlaufsee

is a mountain lake at the foot of Gemeindealpe. Its average depth is 21 metres, its maximum 38 metres. Erlauf, the stream I've mentioned before, runs through the lake, thus dividing it into a Styrian and a Lower Austrian part. The temperature of the water is about 19° C in summer.
image.jpeg

The lake with Gemeindealpe visible
For a better view of the location of the lake (Wikipedia):
image.jpeg

A museum tram connects Mariazell and the lake. It wasn't operating when I was there. A wagon is constantly stationed near the lake. It's used for small festivities.
image.jpeg

At this time of the year, it's quiet around the lake. In summer, people are swimming there, diving (winter also), fishing, feeding ducks, walking around Erlaufsee, and there's a boat rental, for boating.

A small hotel (Herrenhaus) and a camping ground are nearby.
a6bda810a6a24619c7c95feb1f13de15.jpg

ccc79f3e0bf4763b36a9b8ced129c382.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 166
Last edited:

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Smashing photos. Very envious - even more so, as we had booked 3 weeks at the other end of Austria this summer, near Innsbruck, but unfortunately we have had to put it off.

OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Smashing photos. Very envious - even more so, as we had booked 3 weeks at the other end of Austria this summer, near Innsbruck, but unfortunately we have had to put it off.
Too bad! That's really a beautiful area. Maybe at another time?

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hopefully next year. Looking at your photos, eastern Austria looks very tempting, too.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Erlaufsee

is a mountain lake at the foot of Gemeindealpe. Its average depth is 21 metres, its maximum 38 metres. Erlauf, the stream I've mentioned before, runs through the lake, thus dividing it into a Styrian and a Lower Austrian part. The temperature of the water is about 19° C in summer.
View attachment 70667
The lake with Gemeindealpe visible
For a better view of the location of the lake (Wikipedia):
View attachment 70668

A museum tram connects Mariazell and the lake. It wasn't operating when I was there. A wagon is constantly stationed near the lake. It's used for small festivities.
View attachment 70665

At this time of the year, it's quiet around the lake. In summer, people are swimming there, diving (winter also), fishing, feeding ducks, walking around Erlaufsee, and there's a boat rental, for boating.

A small hotel (Herrenhaus) and a camping ground are nearby.
a6bda810a6a24619c7c95feb1f13de15.jpg

ccc79f3e0bf4763b36a9b8ced129c382.jpg
Thanks for showing us some very nice views of your country.

OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hubertussee

That's number 3 on the map. Walster is the stream that's going through the lake. It's also a mountain lake, but not made by Mother Nature. It's an artifical lake, created 1906, as a gift for Arthur Krupp from his wife Margret in celebration of their silver wedding anniversary.
You need about an hour to walk around the lake. It's a little more than 1 km long, and 8 m deep.
Fishing and kayaking is possible here.

At the northern side of Hubertussee, you'll find a few memorials, reminding of Arthur Krupp. One of them is this chapel (Hubertuskapelle):
image.jpeg

There's a well below it:
image.jpeg

Bruder Klaus Kirche (church):
image.jpeg

The lake from different angles
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Dam wall
image.jpeg

View from the bridge
image.jpeg

OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Finally -
Mariazell,
a small city in Styria, known for winter sports, and a site of pilgrimage

The cityscape is dominated by the Mariazell Basilica
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The church was built in Gothic and Baroque style. Here's the church with the Gothic portal, which isn't in use any more:
image.jpeg

Usually, taking pictures inside the basilica is not allowed. For the very first time in my life, I was alone there, so I took advantage of the situation, and shot a few photos with my iPhone.
image.jpeg

Main altar with Lenten veil
image.jpeg

Gothic portal from inside, with main organ above it
image.jpeg

Cupola

Outside, you can find quite a few occasions to get souvenirs of your stay
image.jpeg

As visible, not available when I visted Mariazell.

There are a few other attractions
The cable car to the top of Bürgeralm
image.jpeg

Unfortunately, it's only working on Saturday and Sunday at this time of the year. That's different in summer.

The main road in Mariazell is even, more or less. Here's a view of Wienerstraße from the window of my hotel room:
image.jpeg

Most streets in Mariazell look like this
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Upwards
Or downwards (no photo, sorry)

Walking there can be a breathtaking experience, sometimes, but when you succeed, you're rewarded with an even more breathtaking sight.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Finally -
Mariazell,
a small city in Styria, known for winter sports, and a site of pilgrimage

The cityscape is dominated by the Mariazell Basilica
View attachment 70718
View attachment 70723
The church was built in Gothic and Baroque style. Here's the church with the Gothic portal, which isn't in use any more:
View attachment 70719
Usually, taking pictures inside the basilica is not allowed. For the very first time in my life, I was alone there, so I took advantage of the situation, and shot a few photos with my iPhone.
View attachment 70720
Main altar with Lenten veil
View attachment 70721
Gothic portal from inside, with main organ above it
View attachment 70722
Cupola

Outside, you can find quite a few occasions to get souvenirs of your stay
View attachment 70724
As visible, not available when I visted Mariazell.

There are a few other attractions
The cable car to the top of Bürgeralm
View attachment 70725
Unfortunately, it's only working on Saturday and Sunday at this time of the year. That's different in summer.

The main road in Mariazell is even, more or less. Here's a view of Wienerstraße from the window of my hotel room:
View attachment 70726
Most streets in Mariazell look like this
View attachment 70727
View attachment 70728
Upwards
Or downwards (no photo, sorry)

Walking there can be a breathtaking experience, sometimes, but when you succeed, you're rewarded with an even more breathtaking sight.
View attachment 70729
View attachment 70730
View attachment 70731
It's a very beautiful town. I can see anyone certainly getting a workout while walking around town, since I see very few level streets in your photos.

Most reactions

Latest posts