What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian iPad 4 (cellular) prepaid microsim support in USA

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I am asking for support so please do not laugh..... Ok. :). In Australia we have prepaid plans from $20 for Aussie iPad users however when they travel they wish to access the Internet any time day or night.... So your input is requested.

I have a client whom purchased a IPad celluar iPad 4. in Australia. They are travelling to USA soon and would like to know the following.

A). They need a prepaid microsim for 4 to 6 weeks
B) what is the cost if available
C) Where do they purchase the microsim and plan after arriving in USA
D) I have advised the client that free wifi is available across USA and that they may be charges applied in hotels.

Australia uses this specific model ipad4 which I believe is same as England I also believe some networks in USA support this model A1459 (WiFi + Cellular)

Many thanks in advance for your input.....

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I am asking for support so please do not laugh..... Ok. :). In Australia we have prepaid plans from $20 for Aussie iPad users however when they travel they wish to access the Internet any time day or night.... So your input is requested.

I have a client whom purchased a IPad celluar iPad 4. in Australia. They are travelling to USA soon and would like to know the following.

A). They need a prepaid microsim for 4 to 6 weeks
B) what is the cost if available
C) Where do they purchase the microsim and plan after arriving in USA
D) I have advised the client that free wifi is available across USA and that they may be charges applied in hotels.

Australia uses this specific model ipad4 which I believe is same as England I also believe some networks in USA support this model A1459 (WiFi + Cellular)

Many thanks in advance for your input.....

Getting the SIM is easy, you can walk into any AT&T store to get one (also, many electronic stores will have one). And, the plan is $14.99 (USD) for 250mb, $30 for 3gb and $50 for 5gb. These are monthly pay-as-you go plans (that you must cancel when you are done because they will auto-renew every month).

The problem is that it may be difficult to sign up for this plan as AT&T requires a US address and credit card (billing address). I've seen stories where people, while at the AT&T store, have managed to get a plan purchased when they provided their [local] hotel address along with their non-US credit card. So, I don't know if that'll work.

I don't know about other carriers. Hopefully, someone else will chop in...

Marilyn

OP
col.bris

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn for your input. I also understood one can buy visa gift cards from many stores in USA that are preloaded and that you can register the hotel where you are staying in USA as a USA address so that AT&T will authenticate the SIM card when you pay them using the gift card.

I am looking for the easiest solution for the client.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
http://jasonbelsey.com/2012/03/how-foreigners-can-activate-an-att-sim-on-ipad
for using a preloaded card bought in America

http://jasonbelsey.com/2011/06/how-...-avoid-exorbitant-data-roaming-fees-the-plan/
About halfway down talks about purchasing the sim and setting up "multiple authorized billing addresses" on your real use at home credit card.

One of these may help, once set up you activate (and as mentioned - don't forget to deactivate as it is a monthly auto charge until deactivated) and use.

Coming for pleasure or business? Hope you get to see a lot while here!

OP
col.bris

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for that. In Australia it is a lot easier as one purchases the sim for $2 then buys a prepaid data pack for the time or amount of data one needs from any one of the several carriers.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I looked into this when we went to New York and it is how Mickey has said......but as our hotel provided wifi, we didn't need it. Free wifi was also available in many places and areas. We bought an iPhone sim from AT&T with cash and just gave our Hotel address and they accepted our credit cards when we topped it up. We did need to show them our passports though.

Most reactions

Latest posts