What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia iPad3 owners unable to use 4G, so Apple offers Refund.

L

Lunar

I note with interest a story on the BBC web site today, stating that Apple have agreed to refund all Australian owners of the new iPad3 4G models, if they wish a refund, as it seems the 4G is not compatible with the 4G services currently available in Australia.

This is a little worrying for us in the UK too, as no proper formal ratification standard is in place in the UK at the current time, at least I don't think so, and from what I've read it could be 2years or more before 4G becomes mainstream to most parts of the country, I just hope when it is fully rolled out that our 4G implementation is compatible with Apple devices, though I suspect by the time that happens in the UK we will all be using iPad 4's or iPad5's..lol

Sleaka J

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here in Australia we have 3 major telcos selling the new iPad. Telstra, Optus and Vodafone. Out of these 3, only Telstra has a 4G network, but I found out from the original announcement that it wasn't compatible with the 4G iPad (3G works fine though). None the less, I was only going to get the WiFi only version anyway. But if people bought the WiFi + 4G iPad thinking it would work at 4G speeds, they only have themselves to blame. These people buy something after doing ZERO research, then blame someone else when it doesn't work. You just can't do that these days.

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is a pity that lack of research on a buyer's part is a fat fee for a lawyer. If I was a judge in such matters, I would have two signs made. One saying "I spend money without knowing what I am buying" to go around the neck of the plaintiff. Another saying "Hock your soul here for a few dollars" to be worn by the lawyer.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most users are not going to know the different types of 4G in various parts of the world. If you're going to sell a product labeled 4G and it's not usable in a country where you're advertising it, it's not unreasonable to expect that you'd make that clear in ads for that country. I'd also tell shoppers that when they were buying in that country at a store or online. To me, this would be a part of good customer service and being forthright, without any need for lawyers or unhappy customers.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Most users are not going to know the different types of 4G in various parts of the world. If you're going to sell a product labeled 4G and it's not usable in a country where you're advertising it, it's not unreasonable to expect that you'd make that clear in ads for that country. I'd also tell shoppers that when they were buying in that country at a store or online. To me, this would be a part of good customer service and being forthright, without any need for lawyers or unhappy customers.

Agreed. If someone sold me a 4g tablet I expect it to work with whatever 4g is available in my country. If it is not compatible with any 4g on my country, then why are you advertising it as such? Just say 3G here. It is not that hard.

Of course, here in the US I had to be aware if I were in a 4g market to ensure I could use my Verizon lte where I live. But Verizon spends a lot of money telling me that through all these ads I see.

Most reactions

Latest posts