What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AUM

shutthatdaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
I am a complete noob when it comes to iPad music and having decided to downsize my predominately Windows studio acquired an iPad Pro M1 and a selection of apps to continue 'fiddling' as my wife calls it.

My musical tastes tend to be towards Ambient combined with Sequencer driven music (very much like early Tangerine Dream) but far less talented and polished.

AUM loaded with Animoog and others accomplish this, BUT I am having a problem with saving the project. What I am attempting to do is to send the file to my Mac Mini for inputting into Logic Pro for further treatment and then recording. I have tried doing this via Bluetooth but have been informed by both the app and by Apple support that OS bluetooth is not compatible with iPad bluetooth, and will not pair which is rather strange as it idoes with Windows ie it can pair with my Windows machine. I cannot see how to add save locations in AUM although there must be a way.

So I thought I would try sending it to icloud but that doesn't seem to work either.

If any more knowledgeable members can suggest a solution I would be very happy to hear from you.

Thank you

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't use AUM, or do more than fiddle with Garage Band, so I can't help much there. I did notice quite a few YouTube videos when searching, and I found this manual online. AUM Users Guide

The manual says the usual Share options are available, so assuming your Mac Mini is not ancient and that it is running a reasonably recent version of MacOS, you should be able to use AirDrop.

You access the AirDrop option using the Share icon, a box with an up arrow. When you are near the Mac Mini it should show up as an option. AirDrop is usually the first icon in the second row.

You might find some thing like Save File lin the same place, in the list of options below the icons. This should let you save to iCloud Drive. Access iCloud Drive from the Finder on the Mac. You'll need to add your iCloud account there, if you haven't already.

It sound like you might be new to the iPad, I recommend you perusing the iPad User Guide. You can get this in the Book app (the iBooks Store) for free, or you can use the Apple's online version: iPad User Guide

OP
S

shutthatdaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I have tried AirDrop and it seems to do what I want it to do, I succeded in sending one file and it arrived safely. I would have to do some more testing before I would be confident in using it for important stuff. It is a big step in the right direction. So thank you very much for your help.

OP
S

shutthatdaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't use AUM, or do more than fiddle with Garage Band, so I can't help much there. I did notice quite a few YouTube videos when searching, and I found this manual online. AUM Users Guide

The manual says the usual Share options are available, so assuming your Mac Mini is not ancient and that it is running a reasonably recent version of MacOS, you should be able to use AirDrop.

You access the AirDrop option using the Share icon, a box with an up arrow. When you are near the Mac Mini it should show up as an option. AirDrop is usually the first icon in the second row.

You might find some thing like Save File lin the same place, in the list of options below the icons. This should let you save to iCloud Drive. Access iCloud Drive from the Finder on the Mac. You'll need to add your iCloud account there, if you haven't already.

It sound like you might be new to the iPad, I recommend you perusing the iPad User Guide. You can get this in the Book app (the iBooks Store) for free, or you can use the Apple's online version: iPad User Guide

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You're welcome. I hope it will work out for you. One downside is that it has problems with large numbers of files at a time, so keep that in mind. I also don't know how it will handle massively large files, which could be an issue if end up doing video.

If you can see your AUM files in the Files app, you also have the ability to see shared folders from your Mac Mini there. You'll need to turn on folder sharing on the Mac. I don't remember where. If you can't figure it out, let me know. I don't have the time to look at it right now, but could probably do it later. Normally iCloud Drive is enough for me, but I rarely deal with massive files.

OP
S

shutthatdaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am indeed very new to iPad in fact only about 2 weeks of experience. I have spent many many years with the Windows ecosystem but wanted to try something new. My Mac Mini is about a year or so old, buying it when the M1 chip version came out, the reviews that it indicated that it could handle music quite adequately. The iPad seemed a good partner in terms of control so I got that about 2 weeks ago.

As I said in my original post, there must be a way of adding further save locations either on the iPad or on external devices, I say this because I have seen YouTube videos that show the save page of AUM with added locations, I just haven't found a way to do it.

I went to the AUM Users Guide page as you suggested but for whatever reason, the index page partially obscures the detail page. I have yet to get to the iPad guide but most certainly will do. Again thank you for your help and suggestions, very much appreciated.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I have tried AirDrop and it seems to do what I want it to do, I succeded in sending one file and it arrived safely. I would have to do some more testing before I would be confident in using it for important stuff. It is a big step in the right direction. So thank you very much for your help.
You’re very welcome!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The file sharing I mentioned seems to work fine, and should provide an alternate way of moving files if you need to move them in bulk, or want to be more precise about where they end up.

You go into Preferences on the Mac (under the  menu). Select Sharing, turn on File Sharing, then select a folder and edit permissions (if needed). If you don't do anything you'll probably end up sharing your entire drive. Make note of the smb:// address in the text.

On the iPad open the Files app, tap the three dot icon at the top of the Files column and choose Connect to Server. Enter the smb: address and your user name and password for the Mac Mini.

The shared location will show up fairly far down the list, under the Shared heading.

If you can see your AUM files in the Files app, you should be able to copy/move files there. If not, you'll probably have to do it from within AUM. I have no idea how to get to the files dialog there, but I'm sure it exists.

OP
S

shutthatdaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The file sharing I mentioned seems to work fine, and should provide an alternate way of moving files if you need to move them in bulk, or want to be more precise about where they end up.

You go into Preferences on the Mac (under the  menu). Select Sharing, turn on File Sharing, then select a folder and edit permissions (if needed). If you don't do anything you'll probably end up sharing your entire drive. Make note of the smb:// address in the text.

On the iPad open the Files app, tap the three dot icon at the top of the Files column and choose Connect to Server. Enter the smb: address and your user name and password for the Mac Mini.

The shared location will show up fairly far down the list, under the Shared heading.

If you can see your AUM files in the Files app, you should be able to copy/move files there. If not, you'll probably have to do it from within AUM. I have no idea how to get to the files dialog there, but I'm sure it exists.
Thank you for your continuing interest in this matter. I have managed to accomplish what I was attempting to do although it is rather longwinded.

Your instructions were clear and I now get the Share option up. It would be great if I could move the file directly into Logic Pro, but so far my experimenting has not yet yielded a positive result, maybe it can't be done, but in the meantime your suggestion is working so I will go with that.

I was thinking how attemping something new leads you into all sorts of things only somewhat related to what you were trying to do. It took me hours to get to the Share option on the iPad, not relealising that I had to first select a file before the various options were available. I had assumed that selecting the File option would bring up an option menu which included the Share option which would then lead to the file to share, instead of which it is the other way round select the file get the option.

Anyway mission accomplished thanks to you and the other poster, your help has probably enabled me to hang onto a little bit more hair, so thank you again, your help is greatly appreciated.

regards

Most reactions

Latest posts