What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Audio Source

JeremyDeal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster and new member here. I've been looking for weeks for a Cydia package to allow me to select the audio source of my iPhone4, 3GS & iPad2. I've come up empty handed and was hoping someone here could help.

Here is why I need it. I have an old 3GS that was laying around so I installed NAVIGON on it and now use it as a dedicated GPS in my truck. Problem is when I plug it in to the FORD sync USB port to keep it charged the phone routes all audio through the charge cable so I cant hear my turn by turn directions - even when I'm listening to FM. If I could somehow route all the audio through the phone that would fix it.

Also on my iPhone4 if I plug it into my home receiver dock to charge it, it will do the same thing ...route all audio through the dock instead of the iPhone. I miss phone calls and txt msg because I don't hear the audio cues from the iPhone.

Same song, different verse for the iPad2. I'm not looking for a free ride - I don't mind paying for the package, just need help finding one.

Thanks for any help offered!

Last edited:

Mattmilw

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, for your truck, you're only trying to keep the phone charged while using the gps. All you would need is to pick up a cigarette lighter USB plug. Cord your phone into it, and the it will charge, but the audio will conintue to output from the phone, or wherever you cord the audio jack into.

I'm not clear on your iphone4 or ipad2 issues. Could it be as simple as using the ac charging plug to charge them instead of a dock?

OP
J

JeremyDeal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, for your truck, you're only trying to keep the phone charged while using the gps. All you would need is to pick up a cigarette lighter USB plug. Cord your phone into it, and the it will charge, but the audio will conintue to output from the phone, or wherever you cord the audio jack into.

I'm not clear on your iphone4 or ipad2 issues. Could it be as simple as using the ac charging plug to charge them instead of a dock?

I'm simply looking for a Cydia package to allow me to select the audio source regardless of what my iDevice is plugged into.

I hate leaving anything in the truck cig-lighter because the F-150's cig-lighter stay on all the time and drain the battery even when my truck isn't running (all three of my 12V plugs do this). So I have a custom permanent mount for the old iPhone in the truck that routes charging cable behind the dash to use the Ford SYNC USB output in the rear of the unit behind the dash. In addition to looking nice and clean with no wires, the reason for wanting to use the SYNC is the USB power output is turned off when the key is removed, and comes back on when the truck is started (I used Activator from Cydia to put the iPhone to sleep when power is disconnected and to wake up and launch the GPS app when power is restored to the iPhone and it works perfect). So I'm not looking to change my hardware setup, just trying to find a Cydia package to let me force the audio through the speakers in my iPhone.

In the house I have a dock that will charge the phone but I dont want to route the audio through it all the time - only when I choose. Yes, I could buy and hook up another AC charger next to it, but the dock charges fine and finding a Cydia package to allow me to select the audio source regardless of what is plugged into my Audio Device would fix this issue as well.

I was hoping someone here knows of a package designed to do that.

Last edited:

Most reactions