What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Audio distortion from iPad to amplification source

tonewheeler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello.. I'm a newbie here, but no a newbie to iPads.

I cross posted this on the newbie board, then I realized it probably needed to be here.

Recently, I purchased an iRig midi interface to use with some of the cool apps, like iGrand, pocket organ, garage band, etc. Everything hooked up great---midi-wise--- However, there is these extreme distortion on feedback from the headphone jack on my iPad 2 to my mixing console. I've been using a standard Radio Shack stereo mini jack from the iPad to stereo inputs to my mixer. I've tested the sound through the tiny iPad speakers and their is no distortion.

I was able to eliminate some of the feed back by turning down the volume on the iPad and mixing board, but I still have a great deal of noise. I would describe the noise as "white noise" that sounds like a swishing sound.

Is there some proprietary audio cable I should be using?

Any or suggestions or help would be welcome!

Thanks,
Dan :)

Jyc23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello.. I'm a newbie here, but no a newbie to iPads.

I cross posted this on the newbie board, then I realized it probably needed to be here.

Recently, I purchased an iRig midi interface to use with some of the cool apps, like iGrand, pocket organ, garage band, etc. Everything hooked up great---midi-wise--- However, there is these extreme distortion on feedback from the headphone jack on my iPad 2 to my mixing console. I've been using a standard Radio Shack stereo mini jack from the iPad to stereo inputs to my mixer. I've tested the sound through the tiny iPad speakers and their is no distortion.

I was able to eliminate some of the feed back by turning down the volume on the iPad and mixing board, but I still have a great deal of noise. I would describe the noise as "white noise" that sounds like a swishing sound.

Is there some proprietary audio cable I should be using?

Any or suggestions or help would be welcome!

Thanks,
Dan :)

Perhaps your ipad internal mic is picking up sound from your studio speakers leading to a feedback loop?

Can you say a little more about how things are set up?

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have an iPad3 and have used a generic cable to connect the headphone jack to my hifi, to play music. The sound quality is not even close to my CD player, due to the cheesy DAC in the iPad, but I get no noise as you describe. You might try another cable, but unless there's some massive RFI issue I doubt that's the source.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

Most reactions