What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AT&T Lowers Wireless Data Plans to Make Mobile Internet More Affordable

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
at&tlogo-1.jpg

AT&T has today introduced new wireless data plans that it says will make it more affordable for more people to enjoy the benefits of the Mobile Internet. Customers can pick one of two new data plans, starting June 7th – either a $15 per month entry plan (DataPlus) or a $25 per month plan (DataPro) with 10 times more data. Current customers are not obliged to switch to the new plans, but they can choose to do so without a contract extension.

Each plan includes unlimited access at no additional charge to more than 20, 000 AT&T Wi-Fi Hot Spots in the U.S. A new tethering option will also be available from June 7th, enabling customers who choose the DataPro plan to add tethering for an extra $20 per month. Tethering for iPhones will be available when Apple releases iPhone OS 4 this summer.

For new iPad customers, AT&T says that the $25 per month Data Pro plan will replace the current $29.99 unlimited plan. iPad customers will continue to pre-pay for their wireless data plan and no contract is required. Existing iPad customers who have the $29.99 per month unlimited plan can either keep that plan or switch to the new $25 per month plan with 2 GB of data.

By Maura Sutton, iPadForums.net
Source: AT&T

dv5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
options

Just got my ipad and when I turned it on I see AT&T at the top. Does that mean I have an account? I didn't sign up and I would have no idea how much data to sign up for.

Any ideas?

Jazzephaye

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a rip off. I see how their trying to make it a positive thing by saying they are making it more"affordable". Please.....affordable would be getting unlimited for $25...but no...they limited our usage to 2gig. Hopefully some more companies will start to offer better deals on 3G coverage.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just got my ipad and when I turned it on I see AT&T at the top. Does that mean I have an account? I didn't sign up and I would have no idea how much data to sign up for.

If you didn't sign in and give them a credit card # in "Settings" you still don't have an account - you've got the AT&T logo in your status bar because you've got a 3G.

As for which plan to choose, that's up to you. Everything I've seen says AT&T is right - 98% of data plan users use less than 200MB of data a month, making the unlimited plan unnecessary.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used about 3 gig during my first month, so am very glad I got unlimited when I did. I guess the majority of people probably have broadband/ wifi, but I don't where I live. It's not available, so all my use is on 3G (edge actually, no 3G either). I'm sure I can't be the only one! I can see the small plan being all right for a phone, but not for the iPad.

And it's definitely a wrong move to make these changes for the iPad, after all the marketing with the old rates, and only a month into the service!

subigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only reason I bought the 3G version was for the unlimited data plan... great.

dv5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used about 3 gig during my first month, so am very glad I got unlimited when I did. I guess the majority of people probably have broadband/ wifi, but I don't where I live. It's not available, so all my use is on 3G (edge actually, no 3G either). I'm sure I can't be the only one! I can see the small plan being all right for a phone, but not for the iPad.

And it's definitely a wrong move to make these changes for the iPad, after all the marketing with the old rates, and only a month into the service!

I just signed up but it says unlimited 30 days so after that I guess there will be a change! Seems unfair to wait two weeks to get the iPad then have a price increase notice two days later. AT&T better rethink their business practice because Verizon is hungry.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just signed up but it says unlimited 30 days so after that I guess there will be a change! Seems unfair to wait two weeks to get the iPad then have a price increase notice two days later. AT&T better rethink their business practice because Verizon is hungry.[/QUOTE]

As of now, if you have the unlimited plan before June 7, you get to keep it. As long as you don't let it lapse. If you choose to stop service, then start again, you will have to pay the new rates.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll lay odds that we won't be able to keep it long. AT&T will soon cancel all existing unlimited data plans, citing a lack of customer interest or some such nonsense.

sachembacon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Daypass 3G for iPad?

I just started working with Rovair.com and was wondering if anyone knew if the iPad could be used with a day-pass 3G service? I think the AT&T no contract rate is good, but if I'm going from my WiFi in Boston to WiFi in NYC and only need 3G while on the Acela express I'd rather spend just the $5.95 for the day I need it.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is absolutely bullspit and Apple should be ashamed. The beauty was the ability to move between plans - sign up for the light one when you're not traveling or won't need it - and the unlimited when you do.

Now - if you don't keep the unlimited you lose it forever.

This really is so "un-Apple".

BTW - I strongly disagree with the slant on the title of this post.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, the title is AT&T's way to slant this to be a good thing....which it definitely isn't! Yes it will lower some bills, and might be ok for phone use, but definitely not the iPad.

ipadfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More and more each day I'm glad I got the Wifi only version and just tether to my T-Mobile phone. I had a feeling this would happy after they got people hooked in.
Then they wonder why people jailbreak there iPHone, iPads and move to another provider.

Most reactions