What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Article: 13 glaring flaws of the Ipad

Jaseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm neither a fanboy or a hater. I'm just a user of technology and use whatever works. I would like to know if anyone agrees with any of these criticisms. I'd like feedback from people who have used the Ipad. Please don't just trash this person's opinion, please discuss the points they bring up:

13 Glaring iPad Shortcomings - Yahoo! News

Thanks,

-J

"Flame not lest ye be flamed."

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't agree with any of it...it is very light and comfortable to carry and use...I haven't encountered a site I couldn't access exactly like on my desktop...the multitasking complaint is once again uninformed bandwagon jumping, and the keyboard is great one or two handed.

The article is trash.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The article is trash.

i agree at 100% it’s just too easy to took all points and use it for made an article but give evidence about you pretend it’s an other case

Media & Controversie is like cat and mousse they like to play for see who will win

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with gentlefury. I doubt the authors spent much if any time actually using the device they are writing about. This article screams to me "we need attention, let's talk BS about the latest big thing in the news" (just like Greenpeace did).

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with gentlefury. I doubt the authors spent much if any time actually using the device they are writing about. This article screams to me "we need attention, let's talk BS about the latest big thing in the news" (just like Greenpeace did).

There is an ulterior motive for linking to that article in that it drives browser clicks on a web site which is real money to the owner. Articles like that are just another form of a 'online scam' driven by greed.

Only suckers fall for it.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oh yeah and what do they mean it doesn't have a usb port??? It has a 16pin USB port that can be used for USB and basically ANYTHING ELSE! Get the camera kit and you have a traditional usb port....just need developers making apps to take advantage. Don't forget Apple opened development on hardware for the port last year!

dennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The writer also fussed a lot about the weight as an eReader. The Kindle DX is about 1.2 pounds, pretty close to the iPad's 1.5 pounds. I don't see how anyone can make much of an argument about 3 or 4 ounces. Maybe in a smartphone it makes a difference.

How about we compare the weight of the iPad to more alternatives, like the HP slate. It's going to be twice as thick so I highly doubt it will be lighter than iPad.

And how much does the average physics textbook weigh? The answer: 3.64 pounds

Mass of a Physics Textbook

Imagine carrying one iPad versus 3 or 4 textbooks like highschool and college students do today. When textbooks are available on iPad it will make transporting learning materials a non-issue. For myself, I still have to carry training materials for my current job once in a while and those also add up to be like 4 or 5 physics books. Or I could wait for them to come out on PDF and carry my 6.5 pound laptop.

So i can deal with an extra 4 ounces to get all these learning/training materials in color on iPad.

Long story short- I don't think the weight should even be an issue for most users. When reading for hours, if iPad is too heavy rest it on your lap and increase the text size if you can't see it that far away.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
its def not heavy. I find it very comfortable to use one handed too. Fits really cleanly in the palm of my hand and doesnt feel like its going to fall out.

I wish we had this in high school and college!! Books are so annoyingly HUGE! And you would actually care if you lost your iPad and take care of it.

EE_Chris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's the same criticism's found in any other online article about the iPad. Depending on how YOU use it, some have merit and others don't, while others are certainly a negative no matter how you use it.

"It's heavy." Not for how I hold it when I'm on the couch surfing around. I also bought the Apple case/cover for it and it helps in propping up the iPad at certain angles.

"It's slippery." Not for me. The neoprene (or whatever the material is) case gives it a very sure feeling when holding it. And because of how the case is designed, putting it on a table in 'typewriter' mode offers a stable base.

"The screen has too much glare." Not for me while I'm inside my house. As an added bonus, the viewing angle is quite wide. Outside though, the glare is horrendous. Glad I don't go outside with it.

"Forget reading in the sun." Duh. Let's make another paragraph about the same point we just made in the one prior (in the article, that is).

"Fingerprints are annoying." To a degree, yes. However, they only become annoying to me when the screen is black. To sum it up: for a majority of the time I've played with the iPad, fingerprints have not been an issue nor cleaning them off.

"It does not multitask." I don't do many things at once but the one thing I do like to do is listen to music and 'something else'. And the iPad does that and the 'something else' just fine. Even when I have to close an app to open another, the app I just closed still re-opens to where it was.

"The browser is limited." Flash isn't a concern for me. The sites I visit are mainly message forums and news sites. If you go to the iPad page on Apple's website, they have a (growing) list of HTML5 websites and the handful of ones listed cover my news needs just fine and look great to boot.

"The virtual keyboard stinks." Meh. Works fine for me and my hunt-n-peck style typing wife. I don't use the thing to compose documents or emails anyhow.

"No USB port." Yeah, that does kinda suck. It'll be great if the iPad had one and could act as a host and do file exploring, etc. But I can't be upset at something that was never implemented on the iPhone/iPod. I'm not sure where the camera connectivity set comes into play and how that might change things concerning USB though.

"iPhone only apps look terrible." Wouldn't know...only been looking at iPad apps. But common sense should tell you that blowing up an app to over twice its resolution isn't going to leave anyone's jaws dropping. I will say though, compared to iPod apps - holy high sticker prices Batman.

"The price is just too high." There are many arguments one can make for/against the price but ultimately, it's your money.

"It doesn't replace anything." I own a desktop PC, a laptop, Droid and now an iPad. Want to guess what I'm reaching for now when I'm on the couch and want to 'consume some media'? No, the iPad doesn't outright replace anything nor did I expect it too. But it sure beats the pants off using a desktop/laptop/smartphone for the activities that I'm doing.

brobar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SOME of what he says is true... but it is all subjective and depends on how YOU would use it. Not everyone will be using it, holding it, doing the same things on it as everyone else.

It's Awkward: Compared to WHAT? It is way less "awkward" than any laptop or netbook I've owned. He says "Portability, shmortability."... uh... for the processing power and capabilities that this thing has it is WAY more portable than a standard laptop. Throw it inside any one of a myriad of cases available for it and it is as portable as any old book or pad of paper.

It's heavy: I'll agree with this... it is heavier than I thought it would be. It does make it a little "awkward" to hold with just one hand for extended periods of time. But it comes back to how do YOU use it. *I* use it with it resting on the arm of the couch, on my leg, or if in bed lying next to me on the mattress. Most people do the same things with books and I sure as hell doubt many would be holding up a laptop or netbook one-handed. Yes it is heavy IF you plan on holding it in just one hand... but how many people do that? Plus that "heft" comes from the super large battery. I'd take having to lay it or prop it up against something with a super long batter life than just a few hours of battery life and being able to hold it in one hand.

It's slippery: Somewhat. I notice if I'm really mobile with it that it can be a little slippery. The rubbery case that Apple sells fixes that (as well as many 3rd party vendor cases). Once again it is how you use it. If sitting in a chair or on a couch and you have the thing propped up against your leg or couch/chair arm... it isn't "slippery"

The screen has too much glare: It IS a glossy screen... true. They only time I've had a problem with it is in very harsh direct sunlight when outside (where I have the same problem with my phone, netbook and laptop). With lights on in the house, or sun coming through the window, or indirect light outside I don't have any problem with the glare. This thing gets SUPER bright... it cuts through most glare. So yes... it does have glare... but "too much" is subjective and debatable.

Forget reading in the sun: Is this a "new" shortcoming or is it the same one as above dealing with glare? He says it is "impossible to view in bright sunlight". I say hogwash. It is not as easy to view in DIRECT bright sunlight... but impossible is completely a stretch.

Fingerprints are annoying: Yes... when the device is turned off. I never notice the fingerprints when the device is turned on. The super brilliant display cuts right through them. So if he is like me then absolutely the fingerprints are annoying once the device is turned off... because you have a $500+ nice piece of machinery all smudgy. So I find myself wiping the screen every time I power it off. If I were having to wipe the screen while it was turned on then YES... it would be a problem. But I don't... so I don't see the issue. Buy a screen protector if it bothers you that much.

It does not multitask: True & False. False in the sense that you can listen to music while surfing the web, using (certain) applications, checking your mail, etc... True in the sense that you can't have multiple 3rd party apps running at the same time. I find this to be a bit of a shortcoming but I also know that I'll be able to jailbreak it soon and remedy that... and there are rumors of v4 software having multitasking capabilities... so I wouldn't let naysayers try and persuade you to not get one just because you can't run multiple 3rd party apps simultaneously (yet).

The browser is limited
: This is a stretch. Outside of FLASH capabilities (which we have seen over and over is less of a concern than people are trying to make it out to be)... it is a full-fledged browser on a mobile platform. There will be a few who will find it limited... but those would be well in the minuscule minority.

The virtual keyboard stinks: Matter of opinion and *I* disagree with his opinion. I can type VERY fast on the soft keyboard... and even if that doesn't do it for you... you can hook up an external keyboard. The author loses all credibility when he says: "The iPad can be paired with a physical keyboard, but even this is awkward, because the actions normally done with a mouse or a trackpad on a desktop or laptop have to be done with your finger on the iPad." Uh... hello... of course what you normally do with a mouse or trackpad you have to do with your finger (or capacitive stylus) on the iPad... it is a TOUCH SCREEN tablet device! Here the author just reeks of troll and shows that he will grasp at any straw to bash an item that he obviously has some sort of bias against. I was open minded up till here.

There's no USB port: True... what is the author gonna do with that USB port? iTunes is the program you have to "sync" your device with for a reason. For everything else on the go there is the camera connection kit. True a USB port could have came with the iPad natively... but I can't think of a single time I've "needed" a USB port on my iPhone in the 3 years of having it. I can't think of a time I'll "need" that USB port on the iPad. Sure it would be nice to have it just in case... but I think people want stuff crammed into their device regardless of whether or not they really use it. My iPad came with toe-nail clippers installed!!! Do I ever use 'em? Nah... not really... but they are there if I ever need to! Give me a break!

iPhone-only apps look horrible: I'll agree with him here. MOST iPhone-only apps don't look great at all when scaled 2x! But something that I have done is realized my iPad is NOT my iPhone. I have certain apps that I have to keep with me on my iPhone. When it comes to my iPad I look at it as a completely different device and I've only been loading iPad specific apps on it. There are only TWO iPhone apps I have on my iPad right now. Facebook... and that is only until they release the official app for the iPad. And Air Video (which looks GREAT on the iPad) and that is once again... only until they release the iPad version.

The price is just too high: This one is easy... if the price is too high (for you) then don't buy one. Problem solved! :) Who is HE to say the price is too high for ME? I actually find that insulting!

It doesn't replace anything: True & False. TRUE in that this is NOT a phone replacement or a laptop/netbook replacement in the sense that *I* can't easily do my development and design on this thing. FALSE in the sense that now I don't have to bring my laptop or netbook along with me on vacation or when being out of the house for a few days. I hated having to lug around my laptop while on vacation just to watch a movie, read a book, send pictures of the vacay to family & friends or occasionally check my facebook or email... or do an emergency update to a website while away. NOW I don't have to take my laptop with me because my iPad will do ALL of those things comfortably! So in a way... it DOES replace my laptop (in certain scenarios). It doesn't completely replace it 100% of the time... but it does replace it in those times where I don't want/need a laptop around.

So in trying to be as open-minded and objective as I can... I agree with a few of the authors rants... but over all I just see the author as a troll who will grasp at straws to make-up anything negative he can about the device to come up with enough trash for an article to illicit responses from both sides of the camp. Outside of the first two sentences... did he say ANYTHING nice about the device at all? THAT tells me he has an agenda with the article because even the most anti of anti-apple fanbois out there would come up with a slew of positives about the device if they were being honest. He couldn't come up with ANY!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Brobar. I agree completely. I am an artist at a computer all day that is crunching heavy numbers...so for me an additional device to smoothly play videos and not choke up my machine is glorious! And replaces any need I may have had for a laptop. I personally like the weight, it feels sturdy and doesn't feel like its going to slip out of my hand with one handed operation. I too wipe it upon turning it off but I rarely notice fingerprints when its on. I don't do much computing in the sun....lol, that's called going outside time! If I need to check my email while outside my phone does that just fine.

As for portability like I said it is the first truly portable computer I've ever owned. Laptops are really annoying, they are heavy they require a case you can't use them on a couch easily, you basically have to find a plug wherever you are.

I can grab my iPad in it's natural state and bring it wherever I want and use it.

As for battery life I have tested it for the past 2 days at work.

10am to 8:30pm on all day (I didn't turn off the screen even when I left my desk to really test it) played netflix, abc videos for most of the day, surfed the web between renders, played a little Nova, and both days after 10 hours of extensive use I had over 30% battery left! That is impressive!! And truly portable!

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think they should mention the other things that it is wrong about it. You cannot do typing well while skydiving. It does not function well in temperatures above 300 degrees. It requires electricity from a power grid to recharge. It requires less IT support than a netbook, therefore it could put some of them out of work.

If the critics had their desire, we would have a 15" MacBook Pro with 24 hours battery life, and fit a standard iPhone case. And they would still find fault with it.

dennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LOL @ Seadog

I also hear it won't operate in a vaccuum. Sorry NASA.

And from the PC World stress tests we now know you can't do live blogging while scuba diving and exploring the Great Barrier Reef.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LOL @ Seadog

I also hear it won't operate in a vaccuum. Sorry NASA.

And from the PC World stress tests we now know you can't do live blogging while scuba diving and exploring the Great Barrier Reef.

What??? You can't scuba dive with it or use it on the moon....piece of crap!!

brobar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It won't blend unless you break it in half first!

LAME!!!

Most reactions

Latest posts