What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arrows

Stereo flab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Firstly, I know the ipad is not a pc/mac. However, why is the keyboard so limited? Specifically, I'm thinking of arrows to move the cursor. I seem to hit many instances where it is not easy to "click" on a point in text to edit a mistake and I find myself laboriously using the back erase and starting again. Is there any reason for the keyboard limitation and are there alternatives?

Regards

OP
S

Stereo flab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not quite true? I understand it doesn't have a pointer, but as I type this I can clearly see a cursor.

Regards

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not sure how much experience you've got, so you may already know all this.

If you just tap, the cursor appears, but it's difficult to tap exactly where you want.

So instead you tap and hold near the word. A magnifying glass with the cursor in it appears. You can drag this to place the cursor. With smaller text it can be harder to place; get close and then just roll your finger a bit left or right.

If you are replacing a bit of text, just tap, hold for a bit, and when you let go you get a selection menu. Select will select the nearest word, then you can drag the handles to include any other text you want.

Yes, despite this I still tend to miss cursor keys every now and then, but not so much as I did before I got used to these other methods.

For those really heaving typing jobs I recently got myself a bluetooth keyboard. Well, really I got a new one for my computer. The Expose key (its an iMac keyboard) had broken off and one, of the cursor keys was a bit sensitive. The old keyboard will work just fine for the iPad.

OP
S

Stereo flab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I hadn't noticed that magnifying action. I think that answers my question and I need to live with these ways of doing things. No problem there - there will always be pros and cons and overall I'm really enjoying this gadget, (surprise birthday present!)

Regards

Most reactions

Latest posts