What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARC vs Garbage Collection for Memory Management

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iOS uses ARC for memory manegement, which causes the "refresh cycle" whenever our device is low on RAM. What happens here is that the compiler handles the memory managment for you. Retain cycles in inactive apps are released from the memory. Instead of taking back Object B it creates an Object C as so retain A can have something to retain to.

Android uses Garbage collection for memory management, which doesn't cause "refresh cycle", but for the android device to work smoothly, it should have 4 to 8 times the RAM needed, this also needs larger batteries and larger storages. What happens here is that when an app doesn't is inactive, one of the objects in the retain cycles are released from the memory and stored in the device, and when you come back it is taken from the storage and is returned to the memory.

Which one do you think is a better memory manager?

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iOS is much more efficient in its use of memory than Android, meaning you don't need the extra resources required by Android based devices to do similar tasks. This is why iOS devices can often do more with less when compared to Android devices.

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have always been plagued by if I should get android or iOS. I do have an iPad but I was interested in getting an android tablet. The biggest problem I had with android is that I cannot make custom notifications, to toggle which apps can use background app refresh, and to pick which apps cannot use contacts, calendars, etc. The lack of custom background app refresh made android non efficent in memory management. Android is customizable for comfort, but iOS is customizable for efficency. I just wished iOS has the ability to set defaults

Most reactions

Latest posts