What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps Other Than App Store???

shiflerg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I surfed the net on my computer and found a free app for a version of Spider Solataire I think I would like. It was by OatMeal Software and in Itunes. When I go to the App Store on my Ipad I find another version. Is it possible to use apps from other places other than the apps store? If so, how do I do this??

Thanks for your help!!! From a Newbie.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Without jailbreaking? I stand to be corrected, but as far as I'm aware, the app store is the only place for downloading apps, free or paid. Jailbreakers have a bit more freedom, but I know nothing about this as all my iDevices are stock.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

EmilRonnow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are jailbroken you can install applikations from other sources than the apple app store.. You can use Ifile (cydia app - file manager) to install a application downloaded from any web page. But there are alternative app stores...

OP
S

shiflerg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't understand the terminology of "jailbroken".

You mentioned some alternative app stores: such as ?????? Is there some problem with using them???

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have a look at the Stickies in the Hacking section. There is a lot of information there concerning what jailbreaking is and what you can expect to achieve should you decide to go down that route.

If you keep your iDevices stock (ie unmodified) you will be stuck with only the official app store. To my mind, that still gives a lot of scope, since there are thousands of apps to choose from.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

OP
S

shiflerg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did I just do a jailbreak or was I legal. I found this website on my computer (App Store - Spider Solitaire Free). I then put that location in my Ipad browser in Safari and then downloaded the app. I had to use my apple id so I assumed everything was ok. It said it was installed but I can't find it on my ipad. Help!!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That links to the official Apple store. Btw. Jailbreaking is not illegal, just frowned on by Apple.

Jailbreaking is endorsed by this forum, any illegal activity is not. And there are some very knowledgeable people on the forum who can help you out.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not making available earlier versions of apps and ios is another example of Apple going too far with their controls...the ipad is an amazing device but limited when it is not jb.

Many users are getting tired of the cat and mouse game of the jb and apple and will consider changing plattform when it is time to upgrade hardware.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gzoladz said:
Not making available earlier versions of apps and ios is another example of Apple going too far with their controls...the ipad is an amazing device but limited when it is not jb.

Many users are getting tired of the cat and mouse game of the jb and apple and will consider changing plattform when it is time to upgrade hardware.

I suppose it depends on your point of view. Some of us are knowledgeable enough to be "trusted" with a bit, or a lot, more freedom over the hardware, some are not and would likely be better off just accepting the limitations and having a piece of equipment that works out of the box without any need for user intervention.

For myself, I've updated my iPhone to 5.1 as I have no intention of fooling around with it, but stuck with 5.0.1 for the iPad so that I have the option of jailbreaking, more as an experiment than because I'm dissatisfied with the OS as supplied by Apple.

It is certainly easier to help out with issues knowing that the OS is standard and what the user will be seeing as a result of particular gestures, keystrokes etc. With jailbroken machines, who knows what tweaks have been applied? Not that it's impossible to help sort out problems; just requires more in depth knowledge of the effects of jailbreaking.

I agree that not being able to roll back to an earlier OS can be annoying. There was plenty of grumbling after the release of iOs5, when users realized that the 100s of improvements didn't amount to much for the majority of them, and in fact detracted from the experience for some. I'm thinking particularly of the iPod app disappearing in favor of the inferior Music app.

That said, sticking with older systems drives computer companies crazy. Internet Explorer 4 is still used, while Microsoft would dearly love people to get off it onto more modern browsers. Their methods of persuading people to update are more subtle than Apple's but still exist. The difference is, of course, that if you decide to try out the new version, you can usually go back to the old version if you don't like the look or feel of the latest and greatest.

At the end of it, the iPad should probably be viewed as a consumer item, whose use is predefined in the same way as a television set or a toaster. Most people don't care a fig for the software, firmware and hardware that is in their electronics, and would be quite annoyed if they were expected to mess with their purchases. Some people do it, for instance with rechipping the engine management systems on their cars, but the majority do not.

A pretty heavy 2¢ worth, but 2¢ worth nevertheless.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts