What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps Gone Free info

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please note that apps appearing in this section are free FOR A LIMITED TIME. It pays to check often for new posts and, if you want a featured app, grab it quick. If it turns out to be something you decide you don't want you can always delete it, and can reinstall it later on at no charge.

I check every app in the App Store that I feature, and at the time of posting, the app is definitely free. I can't supply screenshots because I have a limit to my data, which I often exceed.

I don't want to close threads as the free period expires. I'd rather leave them open so that people who download them can comment. Don't forget that these apps are free for a while in the hope that a bit of publicity might help the people who actually write them, so if you download one for free, why not come back and write a few words in support of the dev who generously made it available?

This is a relatively new section of the forum. Is it working for you? I see the number of hits on the threads, and I assume that it is, but what kind of apps do you want? Let me know, and I'll look out for them, and make sure I post what I find. Don't forget also that any member can start a thread here if they find something that they think is worth sharing.

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you happen to be away from wifi when you get wind of an app that's gone free/cheap, here's a trick.

Tether your iPad to your iPhone (or Android) and start the download, then stop it immediately, by turning off your personal hotspot. Then when you have wifi again, you can restart the download without it costing a fortune in 3G data. You will also be able to take advantage of the free period, because once you have input your AppleID, you have "purchased" the app, and can download it whenever you wish.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you happen to be away from wifi when you get wind of an app that's gone free/cheap, here's a trick.

Tether your iPad to your iPhone (or Android) and start the download, then stop it immediately, by turning off your personal hotspot. Then when you have wifi again, you can restart the download without it costing a fortune in 3G data. You will also be able to take advantage of the free period, because once you have input your AppleID, you have "purchased" the app, and can download it whenever you wish.

I do something like this on my ipad3G just to save my data allowance. As soon as the app starts downloading I will just tap it and it will revert to paused. I then resume the download when I am at home on wifi. Works a treat! ;)

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, that's tidier than my kludgy method, so I think we'll use yours as the official advice, but any port in a storm. I just finished downloading the templates, courtesy of Tim Horton's free wifi. I downloaded to my MBP to transfer to the iPad later, when I've tidied it up. Incidentally, once you've started the download on the iPad, it's available in iTunes on your PC/Mac under Store/Check For Available Downloads.

Most reactions