What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps dropping out when in use

JDEvolutionist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been having problems with a new iPad2 64gb 3G. I am finding that when I am using an App it will suddenly drop out / crash and return me to the main menu screen. This can happen at any time, it may be after the App has been running for some time, for just a short time or before it has even finished loading up. It happens with all the Apps that I use including GarageBand, Mail etc and games Apps. It is not consistent and can happen even when the unit has be put down and is not being touched. It is not due to inadvertent touching of control switches.
It is starting to be really frustrating.:(

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The easiest first way to try to solve ‘unexplained’ or ‘unusual’ problems with the iPad are:-

Force the offending app to close. If you have iOS 4.2 double-press the ‘Home’ button to bring up the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen. Press *and hold* any icon until they start to ‘jiggle’. Then tap the top left-hand corner of the app that you want to close. It will ‘disappear’ from the list. Don’t panic - you’ve not deleted it, just closed it. Now tap the Home screen and the multi-task bar will disappear. Re-open the iPad’s app and see if the problem has resolved itself. If not, it’s on to possible solution number two!!
Restart the iPad. Press *and hold* the Power button. After a couple of seconds a slider control will appear asking you to confirm that you really want to switch the iPad off (this is all you’ll be doing). Slide the control to accept. A rotating white ‘bezel’ will appear in the iPad screen as the iPad powers down (it takes a few seconds, just like it would if you were shutting down your PC). When the screen of the iPad has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the Power button for a couple of seconds until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad starts to power up. This takes several seconds, so be patient. During the power up the automatic screen orientation function is disabled, so don’t panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little ‘jingle’ and then you’re back to the Home screen. Restart the iPad’s app and see if the problem persists. Apple (and Forum members) recommend that you power down your iPad at least once a week, just as you might regularly completely switch off your PC. The normal procedure of just briefly pressing the Power button of the iPad merely puts it to ‘sleep’. Most Forum members have found that one of the two methods I’ve mentioned here cure a whole bunch of unexplained problems and are an easy first step to resolving most anything that happens on the iPad.

Tim
Scotland

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh - no - I've just noticed you live in Aberdeen - is that Aberdeen, Scotland???? I live there too...you weren't one of those lucky people who got their iPad at Aberdeen Union Square on Friday. I was there but wasn't lucky.....

Tim
Scotland

OP
J

JDEvolutionist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lucky!!

I went to Union Square at 15:15 and the queue was so long that I thought I would try John Lewis instead - good move, I was tenth in that queue and got my machine by 17:15. But may be my luck ran out, I just don't know what's happening with these Apps!!
Sorry to hear you missed out, I believe the wait is about a month before new stock gets in.:(

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope it works. It's 'fixed' lots of bizarre things on my iPad1. Even Apple recommend you do a complete power down once a week. What version of iOS has your machine got - did it get the 4.3.1 bug fix release that came out a couple of days ago? There seems to have been a number of issues with 4.3 and Forum members are reporting that many of them have been fixed with the 4.3.1 update. Might be time to 'fire up' iTunes on your PC/Mac.....

Yes - when I saw the queues at the Apple Store I gave up and went upstairs and had a coffee at Starbucks....my iPad1 will have to last a bit longer...

Tim
Scotland

OP
J

JDEvolutionist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Power shut down - no luck

Still not looking good - went through the power off process and then tried two different Apps (Ant Smasher and Kindle) both started running fine but both dropped out within about 2mins. This is pretty much what I had been experiencing before.

Am going in past the Apple store in the morning so will see what they have to say. Jim:(

OP
J

JDEvolutionist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Running 4.3.1

Think I will have to try taking off all the Apps and then reintroducing them one by one but the same thing is happening with Mail and Photos as well and I have tried things like de-authorising and then re-authorising etc but all to no avail!!

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try a reset. Close all apps then - Hold down the HOME, bottom button, and the SLEEP, top button, for about 10 seconds until the Apple icon appears, then release buttons. Allow it to reboot, it may take a few minutes, don't panic like I did, wait for it to reboot. Cures many weird problems on iOS devices.

Most reactions

Latest posts