What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps Crashing!

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Many, indeed I would go so far as to say most, of my goto apps crash since I updated to iOS8. Not just enough to be annoying, rather enough to make them useless. The developers all give the same response: their updates are "in line to be approved" in the App Store. I believe them because I am getting very few update notices-which should be voluminous right now!

Why doesn't Apple iron out these wrinkles before rolling out the OS?

Is anyone else experiencing this really frustrating problem?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If app developers don't update their apps for iOS 8 compatibility in time for the public release of iOS 8 it's not Apple's fault. These developers could have been working on their updates as long ago as June, when the first beta version of iOS 8 was released to developers. They certainly can't say they didn't have enough time to get the updates done in time.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What Sci said. It may be a result of bad APIs and coding on iOS's part, but it's also in part the developer's fault. Prior to the release of iOS 7, there were a number of apps that already released an update for iOS 7 compatibility in early/mid-August, which was about a month and a bit from the actual release date of iOS 7. It's unfortunately not the case this year for apps, even the more popular apps. I make it a practice to include bits of new elements into the apps that're commented out prior to the actual release, so when the time comes, I just remove the exclusions/comments, and re-submit the package to Apple so there's no rush when the impact comes. It's unfortunately not a religious practice for many developers, both novice and competent.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It may just be that your device has not 'settled down' to the new IOS. Try resetting a couple or three times. It sorted mine out with the exception of a slight delay between tapping an icon and the app running. Apart from that perfectly happy. Don't know why this should be, but do try it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, but I have tried resetting. No soap.

On the comments about the developers being at fault. I realize that Apple can do no wrong on this forum, but I still wonder why such a large number of reputable developers haven't rolled out updates. In the past, each iOS update has been immediately accompanied by beaucoup updates. Not many at all this time, and I am curious as to why it doesn't fit the established pattern? C'est tout!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, but I have tried resetting. No soap.

On the comments about the developers being at fault. I realize that Apple can do no wrong on this forum, but I still wonder why such a large number of reputable developers haven't rolled out updates. In the past, each iOS update has been immediately accompanied by beaucoup updates. Not many at all this time, and I am curious as to why it doesn't fit the established pattern? C'est tout!
In the last week and a half 46 of the apps on my iPad have received an iOS 8 compatibility update. That's a little more than "not many".

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can't help saying I told you so! The iOS 8.01 update lasted for only about one hour, and all the news services are reporting that app crashes was one of the major reasons.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Can't help saying I told you so! The iOS 8.01 update lasted for only about one hour, and all the news services are reporting that app crashes was one of the major reasons.

Actually, the main reason was because it was causing loss of carrier service and Touch ID on the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. Most other devices were unaffected.

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually, the main reason was because it was causing loss of carrier service and Touch ID on the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. Most other devices were unaffected.

What you have pointed out, while undeniably true, is a distorted selection of the facts reported-the key phrase being "main problem." Indeed, that seems to be the case, but notice that I said "one of the major reasons."

I really hope that 8.0.2 fixes things, but I have rolled my iPad back to the latest version of iOS 7.

Most reactions

Latest posts