What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple's 9.7-Inch iPad Pro is Officially Unveiled

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
ipad-pro-97-march-2016.jpg

Apple showed off the new 9.7-inch iPad Pro which was previously rumored. The new smaller version of the iPad Pro is jam packed with powerful hardware and features.

Here's a breakdown:
  • Brand new and improved "Pro" display - brighter, wide color gamut, and with lower reflectively - includes new TrueTone Tech to match color warmth
  • Pro Audio System - 4 speakers - twice audio volume of iPad Air 2
  • Apple A9X processor - 3D FinFET process - 12 Cores - M9 coprocessor, great for pro apps, multi-tasking, videos and gaming - supports always on "Hey Siri"
  • Supports accessories like a new Smart Keyboard (automatically works when plugged in) - the Apple Pencil (introduced with the first iPad Pro) - USB Camera Adapter - SD Card Reader
  • More Advanced Camera - 12MP iSight, 4K video - Augmented Reality Apps, scan docs, astronomy
  • 5MP front FaceTime camera
  • 4 Metal finishes - new color is the Rose Gold
  • & More (visible in the screen-cap above)
The price of the iPad Pro is $599 and $749 (respectively) for the 32GB and 128GB versions. There will also be a 256GB storage version for $799. They will be available on March 31st, 2016.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Reaction score
I think this is a nice addition for those who thought the iPad Pro (2015) was just too big but the standard iPad was too small...good move by Apple.

wicked

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think this is a nice addition for those who thought the iPad Pro (2015) was just too big but the standard iPad was too small...good move by Apple.
I agree. Prices on the bigger storage models is a little steep but 32GB is probably more than enough storage for me though. Might just pick on up.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
It's an interesting gamut of iPads that Apple has available now.

bwhicher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nothing mentioned 4G pricing. Will all configurations already include 4G? Only in 128 & 256 with extra cost?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They didn't announce a cellular model today. We'll have to wait and see if they decide to offer one. One plus was that all storage sizes are available in WiFi only, unlike the large size iPad Pro when it was introduced.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
They didn't announce a cellular model today. We'll have to wait and see if they decide to offer one. One plus was that all storage sizes are available in WiFi only, unlike the large size iPad Pro when it was introduced.

They didn't show the cellular modles in the keynote, which shocked me; however the Apple Store page shows them ( grayed out because you can't order yet.

image.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They didn't show the cellular modles in the keynote, which shocked me; however the Apple Store page shows them ( grayed out because you can't order yet.

View attachment 70633
I just noticed that in the Apple Store app a couple of minutes ago. It will let me go through the whole selection process and gives me a final price with the notation "Currently Unavailable". That will change in Thursday when pre-orders start.
image.png

Last edited:

metalcyclone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was thinking about whether or not I was going to jump on this one based on the rumors and was pretty sure that I was going to pass because of the price. But on second thought, now that it's official and the specs are all out in the open, I find myself reconsidering my original stance... For one thing, I'm not sure I actually fully believed that they'd put the A9X in the smaller tablet. Now that it's official though, I'm pleasantly surprised. Then there's the ambient light thing which appeals to me because I read a lot on my iPad Pro 12.9 and it would be great to know that I am improving on anti-eye strain and might sleep better because of it.

Also, after careful consideration, I find the 256GB deal for $799 to be a steal! That's about what I paid for my 32GB iPad Pro 12.9 but with much more storage.... And the size is a factor as well. I'm thinking 9.7 has always been good before but then again, I do like the 12.9" size as well. I guess at this point I'm undecided... But I do think Apple did a seriously great job on this one and on making the decision of whether or not to buy one that much more difficult in the process.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing mentioned 4G pricing. Will all configurations already include 4G? Only in 128 & 256 with extra cost?

I just noticed that in the Apple Store app a couple of minutes ago. It will let me go through the whole selection process and gives me a final price with the notation "Currently Unavailable". That will change in Thursday when pre-orders start.
View attachment 70634
As well as the WiFi only models, all three storage sizes of the 9.7" iPad Pro also have the cellular connectivity option.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score

It is on their web site. I

Most reactions