What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Unveils iOS 4.2 for iPad at Media Event

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

Apple has unveiled iOS 4.2 for the iPad at its media event today at the Yerba Buena Center in San Francisco, California. According to AppleInsider, as expected the update will include several features from iOS 4, and the newly announced iOS 4.1 update due for iPhone next week, including folders and multitasking, as well as new features such as wireless printing support and something called AirPlay (previously known as AirTunes), that will enable the streaming of audio, video and photos over a Wi-Fi connection.

Many will be excited by the new wireless printing feature, which Steve Jobs demonstrated, including the use of the new Print Center, which will be accessible via the multitasking bar which can be called up by tapping the Home button twice.

iPad owners can look forward to the new update arriving in November for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

Source: AppleInsider, The Guardian

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When Jobs showed the slide for ios 4.2 for the ipad it said at the bottom "on certain models only" or something like that. Anyone know whet models are excluded?

HarlyFan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It stinks that iPad users need to wait until November, are you kidding?

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would imagine its older models of ipod and iphone.

But.. NOVEMBER!?! :eek:(

Fardog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not having an iPad but getting one in the next few days the ios 4.2 will be available for the current models--right?

Fardog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not having an iPad but getting one in the next few days the ios 4.2 will be available for the current models--right?

Bought my iPad a couple of days ago - 3.2.2

Sorry, what I meant was----the iPad I buy in a few days will have 3.2.2. I understand that. The 4.2 is a download in November for all iPads, right?

In other words, it is not simply being installed on brand new iPads in November, but can be downloaded to all older ones too like what mine will be next week..

Do I understand that correctly? Yes I know, I'm an iPad noob. Thanks

josiahS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
josiahstaggs.com
Yea, November sucks. We should definitely get.

@Fardog, yes, that's probably the way it will be for a while. New shipments will carry the newest OS but everything already on store shelves and sitting in inventory will be a later version. Downloading an update is all that's needed ;)

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Bought my iPad a couple of days ago - 3.2.2

Sorry, what I meant was----the iPad I buy in a few days will have 3.2.2. I understand that. The 4.2 is a download in November for all iPads, right?

In other words, it is not simply being installed on brand new iPads in November, but can be downloaded to all older ones too like what mine will be next week..

Do I understand that correctly? Yes I know, I'm an iPad noob. Thanks

There is only one iPad....so yes....it will install on any and all iPads.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sep. 1 , a magic day for ipod fans .. haha .The ipod touch is designed like a iphone 4, the new nano just is a mini-player! the shuffle is smaller and lighter!
when can i update my iphone 4 ?
by the way , when can i buy a new ipod touch ?

Apple

Sheesh.. That didn't even take google.

jaybrass73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IOS 4.2 will be a software update which iTunes checks for automatically, so all iPods when sycn'ed will migrate to this software automatically, unless you've instructed iTunes to only allow manual updates of software versions. It won't be exclusive to ipad's built after November, bring it on!

Most reactions

Latest posts