What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

apple unfair?

murell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so i got my new iad 2 last night. i find it to be a fantastic product however i noticed that a lot of apps are way more expensive than i feel are nessacary. it seems that alot of app developers believe that the ipad is an elitist product and set the prices accordingly. app developors make decent profits with cheap prices and free apps. there are good free apps you can get but i cant help but feel there shpid be a limit on app prices imposed by apple. many people save up for months for these devices or recieve them as gifts and not everyone who owns them can afford 6.99 for apps. any thoughts?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are often free or cutdown alternatives. Post here what you are looking for and see if the members are aware of free of cheap alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

AllenSalar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm, there is alot of possibilities here for me.

1. They may be just starting and want to recover the amount of money used on developing the application and thus having applied the high price in the app store.
2. They can be thinking that it has been "worked hard on" and deserving a high price.
3. Or they may be thinking because it's gonna be used on the "iPad" it's supposed to be expensive. If you have enough to buy the iPad you have enough to buy the apps.

But that's just me, don't know about the others.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so i got my new iad 2 last night. i find it to be a fantastic product however i noticed that a lot of apps are way more expensive than i feel are nessacary. it seems that alot of app developers believe that the ipad is an elitist product and set the prices accordingly. app developors make decent profits with cheap prices and free apps. there are good free apps you can get but i cant help but feel there shpid be a limit on app prices imposed by apple. many people save up for months for these devices or recieve them as gifts and not everyone who owns them can afford 6.99 for apps. any thoughts?

My thought is perhaps you don't understand capitalism and have a sense of entitlement. I also wonder whether you'd be OK if I decided that you make too much for whatever you do and it'd be OK if I arbitrarily capped how much you make, lol.

OP
murell

murell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My thought is perhaps you don't understand capitalism and have a sense of entitlement. I also wonder whether you'd be OK if I decided that you make too much for whatever you do and it'd be OK if I arbitrarily capped how much you make, lol.
i understand exactly how capitalism works ( or doesnt in my opinion) and i believe in the redistrution of wealth and i wouldnt m
ind my wages being capped if i earned more than my pathetic salary atm. i believe we all need an awareness of other less well of individuals meeds as alot of people think if they earn alot of money then they have what you would call 'a sense of entitlement' i believe that
a sense of entitlement should come from hard work ( in watever job you do) and ALSO striving towards the needs of others. back to my question app developers can earn alot of moneywith aiming apps soley at individuals who have money to spare.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You do realize that Apple does not dictate the price apps sell for,don't you? Apple's only concern about pricing is that they get their 30%. $6.99 is not an expensive app by any means. There are apps that sell for several hundred dollars. Check out iVip Black,it costs $999.00. Definitely a case of specific targeted users.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i understand exactly how capitalism works ( or doesnt in my opinion) and i believe in the redistrution of wealth and i wouldnt m
ind my wages being capped if i earned more than my pathetic salary atm. i believe we all need an awareness of other less well of individuals meeds as alot of people think if they earn alot of money then they have what you would call 'a sense of entitlement' i believe that
a sense of entitlement should come from hard work ( in watever job you do) and ALSO striving towards the needs of others. back to my question app developers can earn alot of moneywith aiming apps soley at individuals who have money to spare.

If you think there's a societal entitlement to apps, you're free to become a developer and donate whatever you like in apps to the "needy."

OP
murell

murell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you think there's a societal entitlement to apps, you're free to become a developer and donate whatever you like in apps to the "needy."

Lol :'D. True i was overthinking things but it was a shock seeing price difference after my droid. Its an amazing bit of technology and there are some decent cheap/free apps. Point taken you actually made me lol. They should have a world peace app lol.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Actually, only a small percentage of app developers break even on their apps in the App Store. Those that sell at the 99 cent point need to sell millions to make good profits. There have been several exploratory articles on the App Store and profits. Remember, even though Apple shows billions being paid to developers, there are a whole lot of developers; and a fairly small percentage of them get the bulk of that money.

The fact that the Google Play apps are cheaper probably means that even a higher percentage of developers loose money on their apps. There have also been several articles comparing the two stores that tend to bear this out.

Hold in mind that before the mobile app market started the race to the bottom, the cheapest programs you could buy for a computer were in the 5 to 10 dollar range, and they were mostly junk.

Prices are slowly creeping back up in the App Store, as developers figure out that they simply can't survive on 99 cent apps, not unless they get lucky and have one of the few top ten apps in the store. They are also trying all kinds of in app purchase models, and stirring up lots of controversy along the way.

At any rate, as buyers we've gotten a bit spoiled. With prices ridiculously cheap or even free, we've gotten into the habit of just buying stuff, then deciding if we wanted it, or if it is any good. It is simply time we reverted back to smart shopping, doing our research, and considering whether we really want/need that particular app at that price.

From the capitalist's (and developer's) point of view, if you pay for an app, then the app was worth the price. As long as we are not talking about life essentials, that's a reasonably fair approach.

Most reactions

Latest posts