What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple TV

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you connect the hdmi cable to the TV and plug it in?

Once you have done that-the Apple TV need to be set up-starting with connecting to your Internet network. It may take a few minutes. Mine for some reason took about 30 minutes for it to connect and go through the time settings.

Also, the appletv just had an update alert...at least it did for me last weekend. That took about 3 hours to complete. So if you can, do that later after you have set your ATV up.

Here is the manual: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/apple_tv_3rd_gen_setup.pdf

OP
C

caplatt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. However, the tv does not have an HDMI port.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Have you called Apple to see if there are other ways to connect-maybe with an optical audio cable? I am only guessing here, so best to call apple or see if anyone else has suggestions.

rdkendrick

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Does it say, on the box, "to connect to a tv with an HDMI port"? I don't think Apple TV connects to a TV any other way and would be very surprised if it did.
Sorry to sound negative, but that's the way it is. These things were built for modern devices.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

There are HDMI to composite adapters available. It would connect to your TV with a composite cable and the HDMI cable would connect it to the Apple TV. Just look for HDMI to composite adapters on the Internet. I found several.

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bit of a longshot but does the tv support DVI? You can get a hdmi to dvi cable. Thats how my old pc used to run however i cant remember if i had to use a surround sound system for the audio, but i cannot remember if that was essential or not. Just look for a long connector on the back of the tv with lots of holes in a line and a sort of plus sign.
Infact look at these images and you may get an idea of what i am trying to say.

Attachments

• image-3136881429.jpg
    image-3136881429.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 201
  • image-1213396901.jpg
    image-1213396901.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 203

Most reactions