What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AMOLED iPad Screen Unlikely Says Analyst

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgev_aWt-JU&feature=player_detailpage]YouTube - NO Apple device Iphone/ipad in 2011 with OLED[/ame]​

Following on from rumours earlier in the week that Apple has been talking to Samsung about sourcing their AMOLED screens for the iPad 3, AppleInsider reports today that OLED-display.net is very doubtful about the possibility of this happening, saying that it expects Samsung to concentrate its efforts on making small and medium OLED panels, beginning the manufacturing process next week. They added that Samsung has plans to produce an OLED screen for its 7-inch Galaxy Tab, but that will probably not happen before 2012, and such a screen would obviously be nowhere near the size of the 9.7-inch display that Apple was said to be asking Samsung to manufacture for the iPad 3.

According to the report, Samsung should certainly be capable of churning out millions of 3-or-4-inch OLED panels by late 2011 or early 2012 for Apple, but it’s unlikely that it would be able to produce bigger displays (7-9 inches) in large quantities by then.

OLED-display.net also has a video interview with Barry Young, the managing director of the OLED-Association, where he says that Apple will not be releasing any device with an OLED screen this year, although he didn’t rule out 2012.

Source: AppleInsider | Analysis finds OLED display unlikely for Apple's third-gen iPad

texaslonghorn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good. I had a Samsung Vibrant Galaxy phone with AMOLED screen. I compared it side by side with the iPhone 4 screen and the iPhone 4 trounced the Vibrant in display quality. Not even close. If Apple is going to improve the iPad screen, AMOLED is going in the wrong direction. PS - I switched to the iPhone4, although for many reasons other than the screen quality - and I have NO regrets.

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Totally, completely and strongly agree. The Samsung AMOLEDs I've owned and others I've seen are totally over-saturated.

They're OK for apps like puzzles and many games but for videos and pictures of natural objects they are hopeless.

Good. I had a Samsung Vibrant Galaxy phone with AMOLED screen. I compared it side by side with the iPhone 4 screen and the iPhone 4 trounced the Vibrant in display quality. Not even close. If Apple is going to improve the iPad screen, AMOLED is going in the wrong direction. PS - I switched to the iPhone4, although for many reasons other than the screen quality - and I have NO regrets.

Most reactions