What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Sued Over iPad Overheating Claims

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

Bloomberg is reporting today that Apple has been sued over a possible overheating issue. It says that the complaint revolves around claims that the iPad overheats and doesn’t work properly in hot conditions. The complaint was filed on July 23rd in federal court in Oakland, California, and seeks unspecified damages and class action, or group, status, according to Bloomberg. The complaint argues that the iPad “does not live up to the reasonable consumer’s expectations created by Apple” due to the fact that, according to the complaint, it “overheats so quickly under common weather conditions.” The complaint further alleges that the iPad turns itself off after just a few minutes of use in direct sunlight. The case is Baltazar v. Apple Inc., 10-03231, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California (Oakland).

Apple has yet to comment on the matter as of today, which will be of no surprise to anyone!

Source: Bloomberg

ipadfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's funny that this story just came out as I was at lunch a few hours ago and my iPad told me it needed to cool down. First time I got that message.

Now let me say that I was in my car, the iPad is in a case and it's about 91 degrees. I expected it to shut down and now know not to use it in extreme heat.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Everyone likes to sue in America it seems just so lawyers can make money. Next they will sue because it won't work in the rain as it's not waterproof. I have no time for stuff like this. I think it's funny in some ways as in Australia we have much hotter conditions year round than most of USA and during summer GPS units shut down because it's too hot for them. So why don't users of GPS units in the warmer cities in USA sue manufactures of GPS products. I have also seen PC laptops shut down due to over heating in summer conditions In Australia so what is the difference

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bloomberg is reporting today that Apple has been sued over a possible overheating issue.
Maybe they were just confused. The plaintiff probably overheard someone telling a friend about how many millions of these have already been sold and the other person said, "Wow, those iPads are really hot!"

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everyone likes to sue in America it seems just so lawyers can make money. Next they will sue because it won't work in the rain as it's not waterproof. I have no time for stuff like this. I think it's funny in some ways as in Australia we have much hotter conditions year round than most of USA and during summer GPS units shut down because it's too hot for them. So why don't users of GPS units in the warmer cities in USA sue manufactures of GPS products. I have also seen PC laptops shut down due to over heating in summer conditions In Australia so what is the difference

people in USA really exercise their rights too much lol im from Manila, everyday we're under 30 degrees Celsius of heat. and i dont have problem with my ipad. during summer we'd get as high as 40C . could it get any hotter in the US than Philippines and Australia? they dont know much about heat as we do here.

ipadfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Someone on another site had some good questions. Like before the person decided to sue did they contact Apple to let them know they have a issue or did they just run straight to a lawyer.

Unless it got so hot that it burned your hands I don't think they deserve a penny (just a refund if they can proof it does indeed shut off).

Also on the other hand, what if he wrote Steve Job a email and he just replied with "Don't use it like that"

Ksane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also on the other hand, what if he wrote Steve Job a email and he just replied with "Don't use it like that"

Ha! That was my thought as I was reading the original post. Sheesh...don't do it! I'm in Oklahoma, the heat index with humidity has been right about 111 degrees F recently. Who would WANT to sit outside in direct sunlight?? I wouldn't sit in direct sunlight on a hot day with a laptop or desktop computer either. Why do they think they can do it with an iPad?

DarkLordEnron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine worked fine the past three days in 90+ degree weather. (just to see if i could get that overheating message..) I say, Stop complaining, get a replacement if you think it's really an issue. Gawd..just more money hungry people.

Azieser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have not had any issues with heat at all. In fact this device doesn't seem to generate any heat at all that I have noticed.

Most reactions

Latest posts