What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Statement Addresses Talk of new iPad Running Hot

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
new_iPad_running_hot.JPG

AppleInsider reports today on new rumours that its newest iPad has been running hotter than the iPad 2. This came about after an infrared test by Dutch site Tweakers.net found the new iPad to be running 10 degrees hotter than the iPad 2, with the new iPad measured at 92.5 degrees Fahrenheit, and the iPad 2 measured at 83 degrees Fahrenheit. Despite the apparent increase, AppleInsider reports that the new iPad is still running at well within Apple’s optimum operating temperature of 32 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit. Not everyone has had an issue with the iPad running hotter, and those who have posted about the matter on Apple’s support forums have simply said that it feels warmer to the touch; there have not been any significant claims of the new iPad overheating. Even so, Apple has acted swiftly to address the issue, with Apple spokeswoman Trudy Miller today issuing the following statement to The Loop:

“The new iPad delivers a stunning Retina display, A5X chip, support for 4G LTE plus 10 hours of battery life, all while operating well within our thermal specifications. If customers have any concerns, they should contact Apple Care.â€

Source: Apple says new iPad operates 'well within our thermal specifications'

New iPad Runs About 10 Degrees (F) Hotter than iPad 2 [Updated] - Mac Rumors

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
92.5 degrees is pretty hot for something that dont have a fan in it. i hope this cut the life short of the new ipad.
and i hope they put bigger heat sinks in it

jay3903

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been using my iPad for about four hours and it is cool to the touch.

davedrizen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the upper limit is 95, 92.5 is very near the top end, surly when designing a product you aim for tempeture near the middile in this case 60

5er driver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
davedrizen said:
If the upper limit is 95, 92.5 is very near the top end, surly when designing a product you aim for tempeture near the middile in this case 60

Maybe they designed it in an air conditioned lab. :) Seriously though, they should have had concerns during field tests in hot climates of the production units before deciding to launch. Heat kills lithium batteries.

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jay3903 said:
I have been using my iPad for about four hours and it is cool to the touch.

I think the only true test is when you're running an app that is CPU intensive like hi DEF game or something like that maybe if you have a flying game you could give that a try. But under normal use I think all the iPads be running at normal temperatures. Time will tell maybe a class action lawsuit and $880 return to every iPad user is in order. "Lawyers need $80 for to process the paperwork"

jessica1717

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the only true test is when you're running an app that is CPU intensive like hi DEF game or something like that maybe if you have a flying game you could give that a try. But under normal use I think all the iPads be running at normal temperatures. Time will tell maybe a class action lawsuit and $880 return to every iPad user is in order. "Lawyers need $80 for to process the paperwork"

Agreed!:D

Most reactions