What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple received 4-5,000 governmental requests to access private user information

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
apple-print.jpg

Apple is the latest addition to the US National Security Agency program PRISM which will be investigating private user information held by the tech giant. Other major companies have previously disclosed such intelligence, the most notable being Facebook and Microsoft last week.

Apple followed in their footsteps and today announced that it has received somewhere between 4,000 and 5,000 requests from U.S law enforcement regarding the surveillance of customer private data. The requests were filled between the 1st of December 2​​012 and 31st of May 2013.

"Between 9,000 and 10,000 accounts or devices were specified in those requests, which came from federal, state and local authorities and included both criminal investigations and national security matters."

Compared to social media giant, Facebook – Apple’s numbers don’t seem that huge. The website took in 9,000 to 10,000 requests just in the second half of 2012. Microsoft got even more demands, with up to 31,000 customer accounts being surveyed in the second half of 2012.

You might be wondering which specific governmental establishments tried to dig into private information of users. The answer will probably ease the minds of those worrying about privacy. Most of the requests were made by police forces trying to solve cases, search for missing persons which include Alzheimer’s patients and so on.

Nevertheless, not all information relayed through Apple’s servers can become available. For example, iMessages and FaceTime benefit from end-to-end encryption. That means that only the sender and the receiver can have access to the data.

Source: The Next Web

dale600rr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nevertheless, not all information relayed through Apple’s servers can become available. For example, iMessages and FaceTime benefit from end-to-end encryption. That means that only the sender and the receiver can have access to the data.

Ye, but if the person is using iCloud for backup then access then the authorities would have access to all messages, including iMessages.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Scary times!!!

Yeah, it is. I don't like it at all. We are so connected these days, maybe too connected. For those that say you don't to have to worry if you don't have anything to hide are completely missing the point. This isn't what the USA is about or how things are supposed to work. Period. :(

Dedzdedz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, but you Americans should be used to it. It has been like that for hundreds of years, but, in different ways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapaltalk

Jailbroken iPad 64gb 3G & WiFi
iPhone 3Gs 8gb

imini011213

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A free VPN is very easy to use on your ipad or iPhone. I believe the data is encrypted between me and the server.

Harmoniiee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have never heard of a VPN for ipad or iPhone thought that only worked on computer

Most reactions

Latest posts