What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Planning Major AppleCare Changes

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
apple-logo.jpg

AppleInsider reports on some major changes that Apple has just announced for its AppleCare service, and I’m sure that many of you reading this will be a little concerned by this news. The announcement took place during a town hall meeting last Thursday at Apple’s headquarters, when Apple told tech staff that AppleCare and AppleCare+ will be undergoing a major revamp this fall, with the view to both cutting costs and making the service more appealing to customers. The details were announced by Apple’s Vice President, Tara Bunch, who talked a lot about something called the “One Apple†brand, according to a source who was in attendance at the meeting. Possibly the most interesting nugget of news to come from AppleInsider’s anonymous source inside the meeting was the following comment:

“The biggest announcement, was the way repairs for iPhones will be handled soon. The way it is now, if almost anything is wrong with an iPhone, iPod, or iPad, the entire device is exchanged for a like-new re manufactured (sic) device, whether brought into an apple store or sent in for mail in repair. Now we are starting to actually repair the products and return the same device to the customer."

[FONT=&amp]The source also explained that AppleStores’ ability to repair devices in-house will be greatly expanded, with the ability to replace displays, cameras, sleep/wake buttons and logic boards in store. Geniuses will also be trained to use advanced diagnostic tools with which they can remotely assess hardware problems. For those with out-of-warranty devices this could actually be good news, as hardware issues would be fixed per device rather than requiring the owner to pay a universal “swap out†fee, as AppleInsider puts it.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]AppleInsider says that these changes to AppleCare will be rolled out to the US first, then internationally, and that they are expected to save Apple around $1 billion per year. AppleInsider also outlines changes to AppleCare service agreements. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Many thanks to Kaykaykay for the heads-up on this news story.[/FONT]:thumbs:

[FONT=&amp]Source:[/FONT] Big changes coming to AppleCare this fall: warranty subscriptions, in-store iOS device repairs, more

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I haven't purchased apple care yet on any devices but the thought of total replacement always sounded good. Now, you have to wait for repairs and instead of a new device you get yours back. Not the end of the world but if it saves apple money then you know it has to be a service downgrade for the customers.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I haven't purchased apple care yet on any devices but the thought of total replacement always sounded good. Now, you have to wait for repairs and instead of a new device you get yours back. Not the end of the world but if it saves apple money then you know it has to be a service downgrade for the customers.

I can't believe apple isn't on making more profit by lowering customer care. More than anything, this is a SURE sign of things going downhill.

I have applecare+ on my iPad 3. So far, so good. I had it on my iPad 2, as well. The rotate function quit working..but it was under warranty still. Took 20-minutes for a new/refurb one....not sure which I got...but making me wait for a repair is a definite downgrade in service, if you ask me.

Just as well....I'm really not seeing much more need for new tablets or phone...I may go one more iteration...to get a retina mini...and then a phone with a larger screen...and that's it (heck, I might hold off on the phone too, as my 4S is doing just fine). They need to bring something totally new to pique my interest from here on. I'd rather spend my money on other things.

ps...why must there be peak, peek, and pique. Argh! :)

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can't believe apple isn't on making more profit by lowering customer care. More than anything, this is a SURE sign of things going downhill.

I have applecare+ on my iPad 3. So far, so good. I had it on my iPad 2, as well. The rotate function quit working..but it was under warranty still. Took 20-minutes for a new/refurb one....not sure which I got...but making me wait for a repair is a definite downgrade in service, if you ask me.

Just as well....I'm really not seeing much more need for new tablets or phone...I may go one more iteration...to get a retina mini...and then a phone with a larger screen...and that's it (heck, I might hold off on the phone too, as my 4S is doing just fine). They need to bring something totally new to pique my interest from here on. I'd rather spend my money on other things.

ps...why must there be peak, peek, and pique. Argh! :)

Agreed. I'm not a phone guy and my iPad 2 still gets the job done. Guess I'm just not inflicted with upgradeitis when it comes to this stuff. As for apple care? Just don't see the need. Never was an extended warranty buyer either.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Agreed. I'm not a phone guy and my iPad 2 still gets the job done. Guess I'm just not inflicted with upgradeitis when it comes to this stuff. As for apple care? Just don't see the need. Never was an extended warranty buyer either.

The wisdom of my father: if you are without any care then you should not worry you will break your toy. However, if you do care, your toy will always serve you. English is not my father's first language. I did not understand his words at the time because I was completely overwrought when my Etch-A-Sketch fell off the table, landed face down, and started leaking silver blood. I was six years old. Ironic, in my adult life, I have found no requirement to purchase additional insurance to protect my iPads.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The wisdom of my father: if you are without any care then you should not worry you will break your toy. However, if you do care, your toy will always serve you. English is not my father's first language. I did not understand his words at the time because I was completely overwrought when my Etch-A-Sketch fell off the table, landed face down, and started leaking silver blood. I was six years old. Ironic, in my adult life, I have found no requirement to purchase additional insurance to protect my iPads.

A wise quote from your father, I must say! ;)

Most reactions