What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Pencil!

dupont2005

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since there is not an iPad Pro accessories sub forum yet, I decided to start the thread in here.

Who has one? How do you like it? What do you use it for?

Which apps support it?

I just put my order in today. Should be here in five weeks. Can't wait, I'm stoked after seeing all the Youtube vids. I used to do a lot of illustration but kind of lost interest for a while, and then when I tried picking it back up I had lost my talent. It's not like riding a bicycle. So every time I try I get frustrated and give up. Hopefully this thing will get me back into it. I think I'll find several other uses for it too though.

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't have my Pro yet, but am extremely interested in this thread. Thanks for initiating it. I am particularly interested in technical writing apps such as note taking, Latex, and other productivity apps.

talon90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll offer what I can. I picked up my Pro and Apple pencil last week.

I do like the pencil. It feels natural in the hand. The weight is about like that of a ball point pen and it is a little longer than a new No. 2 pencil. It is easy to use for hand written notes, the screen has no problem from what I have seen with ignoring my hand/palm at rest while I write (left handed).

For most apps, the pencil behaves just like any other stylus. On iOS you can use it to change pages, open apps, swipe between photos, close photos, etc. In other words, it behaves just like your finger. I have tried it with Penultimate, Notability, OneNote (MS Office/Windows/MS Surface tablet user in my work life), Adobe Sketchbook Express, Adobe Sketch and new app for me called Concepts. I also tried it with DocsToGo Professional and it didn't work at all in a new document created using DocsToGo.

I use it mostly for hand written note taking and mostly in OneNote as that is then sync'd to all of my PC's for work. I like the fact that I can start a note on my Surface and pick up where I left off on my iPad or vice versa.

Of all of these apps, the only one that seems to have been optimized for the Pencil on the Pro is Adobe Sketch. It recognizes pressure and tip angle. This allows you great flexibility to use it like you would a pencil on paper, thin lines, thick lines, broad swipes (like for shading). Sadly, I'm no artist but I do like to doodle and trace. I suspect that over time, more apps will take advantage of the pencil/Pro native capabilities like the higher resolution screen and improved pressure sensitivity.

I love my Pro. When I watched the Keynote, I wasn't sure that I was going to get one. When I tried one out at an Apple store, I was hooked. I like the larger size. The weight is quite a bit lighter than I thought it would feel for it's size. Waiting on my Keyboard and then it will be complete. I was able to try out the Keyboard in store and loved the way it felt to type.

I wanted to add that the only frustration for me at this point is figuring out what to do with the pencil as far as storage and transportation. Easy to use but with no method of storing/attaching to the iPad or the case I find I can forget it in one room when I head to another. Not bad at home but could be risky in the workplace or public places.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure we'll see case offerings from third party manufacturers that will accommodate the Pencil.

craftEcowgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Received Monday and loving it! Just as stylus etc for now but will be trying it with notibility soon

--------
Ipad mini 4 & Ipad Pro, pencil
Iggy named Roxy

Notmouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am waiting for one to become available at Best Buy, but would also like to know which screen protector would work best with the pencil.

craftEcowgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am waiting for one to become available at Best Buy, but would also like to know which screen protector would work best with the pencil.

I would like to know too, does pencil work with glass protectors from best buy?

--------
Iggy named Roxy

craftEcowgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to know too, does pencil work with glass protectors from best buy?

--------
Iggy named Roxy

I can confirm the pencil works great with Zagg glass screen protectors!!

--------
Iggy named Roxy

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The pencil works well with other glass screen protectors as well. I don't remember the brand of mine, but the pencil works without problems.

OP
D

dupont2005

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Got mine yesterday and played with it for quite a while. Here's my thoughts.

The magnet will not hold the pencil to the case when I pick it up like I thought it would. It just keeps it from rolling away on the table.

There is a slight lag, but it does not interfere with my drawing or note taking.

Not sure if the pressure sensitivity is working for me or not, have to try a few apps and brushes.

The side shading definitely works.

Using it as a stylus is not ideal for many reasons. It kills your iPad battery and your pencil battery, and then if you charge your pencil from your iPad, kills the iPad battery more. It also doesn't work as well as a finger as a stylus.

Using it to take notes is fantastic.

That's about it so far with just over 24 hours of use.

craftEcowgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use it mainly as a stylus and it works great! Haven't noticed any significant battery drain than usual. I ordered this for my pencil :) plus my zoogue case has elastic holder for pencil. It should be arriving soon.

Apple Pencil Magnet

--------
Iggy named Roxy

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought the Apple Pencil at the same time as my iPad Pro but after some initial playing around with it it now just sits there.
I haven't as yet found much use for it.

Most reactions