What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Launches New Lightning to SD Camera Reader to Support USB 3.0 on iPad Pro

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
Lightning to SD camera reader.JPG

MacRumors reports that Apple has released a new Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader that can support up to USB 3.0 speeds on iPad Pro and USB 2.0 speeds on other iPads and iPhones in the range. The reader costs $29/£25/Canadian $35 in the Apple Online Store, and will be shipped within one week.

As MacRumors notes, it was discovered last month that the iPad Pro’s Lightning port supports USB 3.0 speeds, resulting in data transfer speeds from 60MB/s upwards to 625MB/s, thanks to its Fresco Logic FL11004-port USB 3.0 Host Controller. The iPad Pro is the only iPad that is able to do this, with earlier iPads only achieving data transfer speeds of approximately 25 to 35MB/s via the USB 2.0 port.

Apple has yet to update its Lightning to USB Camera Adapter to support USB 3.0 speeds, but MacRumors sources say that this, and other accessories, are in the works.

Source: Apple Releases Lightning to SD Camera Reader With USB 3.0 Speeds on iPad Pro

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
... and works with iPhone too. I've been waiting for this. Mine ordered :)

According to what I read, the changes in iOS 9.2 will let Apple's older Lightning to SD adaptors work with iPhones as well. If you have an older one, I'd give it a try before buying the new one. The only benifit of the new one is the increased speed, and you only get that with the iPad Pro.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
According to what I read, the changes in iOS 9.2 will let Apple's older Lightning to SD adaptors work with iPhones as well. If you have an older one, I'd give it a try before buying the new one. The only benifit of the new one is the increased speed, and you only get that with the iPad Pro.
I'll have to check it out on my iPhone as soon as I can.

Most reactions

Latest posts