What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Launches iPhoto for iOS

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you will be able to create photobooks, or print the journals? I am looking for the ability to create the printed photobooks.

No options to create photo books, or to print the Journals. Other than publishing a journal to iCloud the only other option is to export to iTunes. This results in a folder with files I assume can be used to manually create a journal on a non iCloud server.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've only given it a quick play but some of the changes are not so intuitive which is unusual for an Apple product but as a whole I would say this is a great app for managing and editing images. I'll give it another play when I get some time to figure out the nuances of it.

kizer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anybody figure out the method of which "Export to iTunes" works when you create a Journal?
I checked my library and I don't see any new files. I'm doing everything wirelessly if that makes a difference. I assumed you would do a sync and while synced use the export button..

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Anybody figure out the method of which "Export to iTunes" works when you create a Journal?
I checked my library and I don't see any new files. I'm doing everything wirelessly if that makes a difference. I assumed you would do a sync and while synced use the export button..

Haven't tried that yet but I'm guessing using that method means the next time you connect to iTunes, you can scroll down to app sharing on the apps table and save the journal from within the app to your computer.

kizer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haven't tried that yet but I'm guessing using that method means the next time you connect to iTunes, you can scroll down to app sharing on the apps table and save the journal from within the app to your computer.

Exactly what I thought. I checked out my apps and there isn't a listing for iPhoto. I wonder if its a bug or if there is a very specific method to retrieve your files.

I tried it a few ways so far.

1) Export prior to connecting to iTunes wirelessly
2) Export while connected to iTunes wirelessly
3) Export prior to connecting to iTunes wired
4) Export while connected to iTunes wired

I figured it would work like iBook Author does. You click the publish and it sends directly to your iPad, but obviously this is reverse iPad to computer.

kizer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you mean Journal on the iPad you simply click the edit button while your looking at the book shelf and then click on the X on the top left of the Journal.

If you mean Literally the Album's you see in iPhoto you would have to delete those from iPhoto on your Mac. Well at least thats where all my Photo Albums where created and synced via iTunes.

kcormier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do not use a Mac. There must be a method to delete the newly created album/s, after all they were created inside the iPhoto app.
Yes I was aware that the journals could be deleted, which begs the question, why not the albums? Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Exactly what I thought. I checked out my apps and there isn't a listing for iPhoto. I wonder if its a bug or if there is a very specific method to retrieve your files.

I tried it a few ways so far.

1) Export prior to connecting to iTunes wirelessly
2) Export while connected to iTunes wirelessly
3) Export prior to connecting to iTunes wired
4) Export while connected to iTunes wired

I figured it would work like iBook Author does. You click the publish and it sends directly to your iPad, but obviously this is reverse iPad to computer.

I don't know what went wrong for you, but it worked fine when I did it.

1) I exported to iTunes.
2) Connected to the computer via cable
3) Went to the Apps tab and File Sharing in iTunes
4) iPhoto was present.
5) Copied the folder I found there to the computer.

The folder is a collection of files needed to add a Journal to your own web page. I only did this because I was curious, so I haven't tried actually using the files.

kizer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do not use a Mac. There must be a method to delete the newly created album/s, after all they were created inside the iPhoto app.
Yes I was aware that the journals could be deleted, which begs the question, why not the albums? Thanks

Thank you. At least I know I'm either an idiot or it simply does not work.
Well its obvious which one is the truth now. ;) LOL

I'll give my iPad and my Mac a reboot and give it another go. Might just be a glitch on my behalf or all the tinkering with wireless syncing wigged it out.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm sure there is a third options. ;)

I've never tried File Sharing with the wireless sync, so that may be the problem. Give the cable a try. It should work even though you have wireless sync turned on.

kizer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It looks to appear if you create a Journal and export to iTunes it more or less waits in your iPad until you connect. I had 3 Journals waiting to be retrived in iTunes. I can't be sure if you export and delete your Journal if it will be waiting still, but thats a later experiment. ;)

I'm not sure why I couldn't see the files or iPhoto at first. Might of been because I hadn't completely synced or simply it didn't like wireless or a combination of things.

For sure you can gather your files wired in the files under your app listings.

lcohn27

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to use the exported journal (index.json) to post to your own webserver? I am wondering if there is a way to create a journal in iPhoto iOS and then post is on my blog at blogspot.com Has anyone shared a journal anywhere else besides iCloud?

Most reactions

Latest posts