What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple is Now the World’s Biggest Wearables Vendor

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
Apple is now the top wearables vendor in the world.JPG

According to market research firm Strategy Analytics, via AppleInsider, Apple has just overtaken Fitbit to become the world’s largest wearables vendor for the first quarter of 2017.

The latest figures from Strategy Analytics show that Apple sold an estimated 3.5 million Apple Watch units in the quarter ending in March, an increase of 59% from the 2.2 million units sold in the year-ago quarter. This gave Apple 16% of the worldwide market.

Apple’s surge to the top spot was also facilitated by Fitbit’s big decline, year-over-year, with its shipments for the quarter ending in March falling to 2.9 million units from 4.5 million units in the year-ago quarter. Fitbit sales are said to have been affected by a trend towards smartwatches such as the Apple Watch and similar products from Samsung.

“Fitbit has lost its wearables leadership to Apple, due to slowing demand for its fitnessbands and a late entry to the emerging smartwatch market,” said Cliff Raskind, Strategy Analytics director. “Fitbit’s shipments, revenue, pricing and profit are all shrinking at the moment and the company has a major fight on its hands to recover this year.”

Source: Apple overtakes Fitbit to become world's largest wearables vendor, study says

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This maybe so but I still like and use my Fitbit zip and will not go to Apple for a wearable product.

fb si

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We get it. You hate Apple, Thomas. Fyi, fitbits are crap compared to Apple Watch.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't hate Apple. If I did I would have never had an iPod or an iPad. I guess what I'm saying is I don't need a Apple Watch when I got all I need with what I have.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't hate Apple. If I did I would have never had an iPod or an iPad. I guess what I'm saying is I don't need a Apple Watch when I got all I need with what I have.
If you ever did decide to buy an Apple Watch you'd also need an iPhone to pair it with as the Apple Watch is not a stand alone device although it can do quite a bit without the iPhone nearby.

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We get it. You hate Apple, Thomas. Fyi, fitbits are crap compared to Apple Watch.

I have an iPhone and an iPad but a Polar Flow Watch it serves my needs. In Germany an Apple Watch is just for show in my opinion. We don't have the payment function yet.
It's only available in selected stores and not Nationwide, when that happens, well, who knows?

I also have skinny wrists so don't wear that type of Watch, l find them uncomfortable.

Most reactions