What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple is messing with percentage of battery life?

kidneyshot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed something weird, but I am not sure if others have experienced this too. :)

Here goes:
My ipad 2 was on iOS 7.1.2 and finally I've decided to move up to iOS8.4 today. Before updating, I charged my ipad to 83% (it was also shown on itunes when plugged in). After updating and while restoring i've noticed itunes showing me that my battery is now on 87%.

Anyone noticed this? Thank u :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The battery was likely charging slowly during the restore process, since it was plugged into a USB port on your computer.

OP
kidneyshot

kidneyshot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OH?Because it always was said not charging when I plug in my ipad on laptop. Thank u for the information.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OH?Because it always was said not charging when I plug in my ipad on laptop. Thank u for the information.

Hello - you need to understand what your iPad expects relative to power, i.e. wattage, while charging - since you posted in the iPad 2 forum, I'm assuming that is your iDevice (my previous one, also) - the charging requirement (i.e. to show that the battery is indeed 'charging') is 10 Watts (2 Amps x 5 Volts).

USB connections provide power but the amount depends on the standard - see quote below (Source) - if not using the most recent USB specs, the wattage will not be enough to show the charging symbol - since you did not tell us the computer you are using for iTunes, then difficult to say, but as already stated a 'trickle' charge does still occur - hope this helps. Dave :)

In the USB 1.0 and 2.0 specs, a standard downstream port is capable of delivering up to 500mA (0.5A); in USB 3.0, it moves up to 900mA (0.9A). The charging downstream and dedicated charging ports provide up to 1500mA (1.5A). USB 3.1 bumps throughput to 10Gbps in what is called SuperSpeed+ mode, bringing it roughly equivalent with first-generation Thunderbolt. It also supports power draw of 1.5A and 3A over the 5V bus.

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Look for a small program named "ASUS AI Charger". Somehow it improves the charge rate when using your PC's USB ports. I've used it for quite a while.

Note that is a PC program and not found in the iTunes store. It's free....

IWTT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I seem to be having a charging issue as well with my iPad2. I am on iOS 8.4 and I am using the charger that came with the unit, original Apple charger. I do have a new cable for it.

This is what occurs...
1) plug in charger to wall outlet and to iPad and the green batter shows with the % percent charged.
2) Battery insignia shows in upper right corner green with charging bolt also there.
3) let charge over night
4) check iPad2 when I get up and either there is no change in the % or it might actually be a few points lower.
5) Plug unit back to charger and all of a sudden it will show 100% after maybe a couple of hours.

I have done everything recommended in previous posts that I have read, hard boot, cleaned the dock port, checked different wall outlets, checked the USB cable.

Could this be an indication that the Dock Port or maybe batteries are going bad?

IWTT (Tim)

Most reactions

Latest posts