What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple could keep the non-Retina iPad mini on the market at a lower price point

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
preoct22inventory.jpg

We are just two days before Apple finally unveils the new iPads at its special Yerba Buena event (which is already decorated), but the rumor and leaks mill doesn’t stop just yet. A snapshot of Apple's indirect channel inventory was caught by the AppleInsider publication and it brings precious information regarding the inventory of the new Retina MacBook Pros, 9.7-inch fifth-gen iPads, the redesigned Mac Pro and the original iPad Mini units.

What was really curious in the channel inventory was the fact that there was a large stock of original iPad mini and Apple TV units. Besides Apple TVs, which have a “very high inventory†next to them, the iPad Mini is the single product, as you can see in the above image, that has a “high inventoryâ€. A sane assumption is that Apple could be keeping some non-Retina iPad mini models on the market and make them available at a cheaper price, just like it did with the previous iPad versions.

What do you think about this, is this a smart move from Apple?

Source: AppleInsider

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Personally I still think the mini is the lowest cost entry fee into the Apple app ecosystem. The ipod touch does not do true justice in unleashing the potential of the app store to changing people's lives. That said people who don't know any better unfortunately get caught up in device specs and don't get out much, like to the Apple Store, to find out what the world has to offer in terms of innovations. So how do you put a price on entry fee into the App Store? I say if people knew what all can be done with apps, the minis would be sold out already. It's just there are communication barriers; not all people are socially active and are not able to ask somebody and recognize.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Personally I still think the mini is the lowest cost entry fee into the Apple app ecosystem. The ipod touch does not do true justice in unleashing the potential of the app store to changing people's lives. That said people who don't know any better unfortunately get caught up in device specs and don't get out much, like to the Apple Store, to find out what the world has to offer in terms of innovations. So how do you put a price on entry fee into the App Store? I say if people knew what all can be done with apps, the minis would be sold out already. It's just there are communication barriers; not all people are socially active and are not able to ask somebody and recognize.

Agreed. The iPod Touch is a bit of an underwhelming device. The main consumer pool for the Touch falls with children and (pre-)teens for the parents that don't want their children to be exposed to a full-fledged smart device ASAP. But now that a lot of education systems favor educational technology, and it does pack a bigger screen so it doesn't strain the eyes as much, I'd agree that the Mini is a great starter. Hardware-wise, it's a beauty with respect to the price as well. It's portable, interactive, and is a fuse between an iPod Touch and an iPad, and gives a larger kick than the iPod Touch alone in terms of longevity as well as benefits in a fairly large array of PoVs.

If the iPad Mini packed the same punch as the iPad 3/4, I'd personally would have jumped on the chance to get one and leave my iPad 2, and the Mini would actually blow out a lot of tablet sales. With the Mini 2 hopefully around the corner (assuming it's released with the press conference tomorrow on the 22nd), I think it's pretty expectant that the Mini 2 would match the sales of the iPad 5, particularly since it's packing a full iPad in a smaller form factor.

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the like.

I am eagerly waiting for what will be announced shortly today. I hope to get impressed.

Most reactions

Latest posts