What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Announces iOS 8, Here are Some of the Most Important New Features

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are other iOS 8 features announced which will lead to amazing app innovation we haven't even thought of yet that when they emerge will blow our minds. Apple has read the market so well with iOS 8. Its the 3rd part apps that power iOS device sales (although the devices are pretty cool and amazing too). Highlights for me are: - thousands of new APIs enabling new apps to make much more use of inbuilt iOS capability - massive new capability to enable apps to interconnect, embed each others UIs and share each others data... no longer will apps be like isolated pools. And to answer WitchOneSalem's question... Apple has gone one better: In iOS 8 it will allow system-wide 3rd party keyboards... so by the time iOS 8 makes its public launch its almost certain that a third party developer will have a keyboard in the app store with a numbers row in it. Hopefully there'll also be one available with up/down/left/right arrow keys too :)

Thank you for that reply. Just what I am looking for. Looks like Apple peeps are listening to customers. I am not the only one that likes both numbers and letters on the same view.

Sent from my IPAD 4th generation. WIFI only. 128GB

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's covered under iPad with Retina Display. iPad 3 and 4 were never official Apple names. They called them the New iPad, iPad generation 3 and 4, or iPad with Retina Display.

I always tell peeps I have an iPad 4. Much easier than saying iPad with retina display.

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You and me both. Just a few keyboard tweaks is all I really care about. The email program is finally being made better though... That was another one that felt old and somewhat useless.

I found a great email application by name on MailTo. It is free. This allows to hit SELECT ALL on any folder and either move, delete, mark and other options. The included email application does not allow for one to select ALL to delete all emails at once.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I always tell peeps I have an iPad 4. Much easier than saying iPad with retina display.

And most people will understand that; but when reading Apple press releases it help to remember that Apple does not use the terms iPad 3, or 4. Instead they are the iPad with Retina display, and then 3rd or 4th generation when they need to make a distinction.

I expect the iPad Air will go the same way. The only question (in my mind) is whether they will start the generation number over again (iPad Air 1st or 2nd generation), or default to the year released (iPad Air 2013 and 2014) like they do for new iMac and MacBook models.

VitaW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wait, third party keyboards? Is it just me or is iOS becoming like android?

I hope so! As much as I love my iPad, I also love my Note 3. There are things about each if them that I wish the other had. I am looking forward to some of these changes. They are a long time coming.

Most reactions

Latest posts