What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apo to instant sync files for offline viewing?

xGary

iPF Noob
Reaction score
App to instant sync files for offline viewing?

Is there any app that will automatically instant sync (for later offline viewing) files I drop into a folder on my computer? Ie if I download a file on my computer and drop it in the folder and leave my house 10 mins later (without pressing sync or manually downloading the file to my iPad), I want to be able to access the file offline without Internet.

Does Dropbox do that?

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there any app that will automatically instant sync (for later offline viewing) files I drop into a folder on my computer? Ie if I download a file on my computer and drop it in the folder and leave my house 10 mins later (without pressing sync or manually downloading the file to my iPad), I want to be able to access the file offline without Internet.

Does Dropbox do that?

Take a look at the app iFiles ($3.99, USD). You can wirelessly sync between your iPad and computer IF you've et it up where you've mapped a network drive. If you map a drive, the app shows up on your computer as a folder and you can drag and drop stuff into it (pictures, documents, movies, etc). Once the transfer is done, you can close the app and walk away.

You need to be on the same wireless network, but once the transfer is done, the files are on your computer - Internet not required.

Is that what you are looking for?

Marilyn

P.S. And please, if you don't get a response to your question, do not start a new thread on the same topic. If you've not received a response in 48 hours, it's okay to "bump" your original post. However, starting a new thread fragments any conversation and makes it hard to follow (and it's against our rules). So, please, just use this thread for any replies or follow-up. The one you posted today has been deleted. Thanks.

OP
X

xGary

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once I drop the files into the folder, do I have to press anything in the iFiles app to download the files? Or does the app automatically download the files for offline view.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Once I drop the files into the folder, do I have to press anything in the iFiles app to download the files? Or does the app automatically download the files for offline view.

Nope, it automatically downloads. The drag 'n' drop is the start of the transfer process. Now, I didn't say this before, but this is with a Windows machine. I don't know how it works on a Mac - cause I don't have one... :)

If you map the iFiles app to your Windows computer, you get a network location. So, it's a folder on your PC that you can drag 'n' drop. The only caveat is that the iFiles app has to be open on the iPad when you are accessing the network drive/folder.

Because I had to re-do it for the new iPad, here's the directions for making a new network folder for iFiles on your PC:

1) Click Start

2) Go to "Computer"

3) Select "Map Network Drive"

4) Click on "Connect to a Web Site you can use....etc" right at the bottom of the list (in blue)

5) When the new Window appears click "Next"

6) Click "Choose a Custom Network"

7) Click "Next"

8) Enter "http://[your iDevice address - found in iFiles settings] (NOTE: Must have/use "http://")

9) Carry on and follow the prompts (you get a chance to set up a shortcut, so the iFiles folder will always show up if you go to Start - Computer on the PC)

It really is very fast. I moved over a 2048 x 2048 picture to the iFiles app and it didn't take any time at all. In addition, the iFiles app has an "Open In..." function, so once you get a file TO the iPad, you can pretty much open it up with any app that supports that file type.

Helps?

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts