What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyway to import iPad to the UK?

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there is anyway to import the WiFi version to the UK without having any contact in the US who could purchase it for me and have it shipped.

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm.. not that I know of.. Does Best Buy allow for international orders?

OP
I

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Best Buy is an American retailer without international operation or subsidiaries so I haven't any idea. I heard that electronic items are barred from international shipping form the US (I don't know if there is any truth to this), but if that's the case, how come American eBayers sell electronics and ship it overseas?

Eeyore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as I know certain technology items are forbidden from export to certain countries. But this pertains to commercial companies, not private individuals. A person on Ebay could probably sell you an iPad but the Customs in your country would require you to pay the appropriate duties and fees (which can be considerable depending on location and VAT.)

All the best.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It should be possible to buy one from Best Buy's on-line store, or wait for Amazon to have it, but I checked and they do not ship overseas except to APOs. I suppose if you knew a soldier stationed there, they could get one for you, but you would need to know them pretty well. The big issue would probably be the VAT. That may be the main hangup to buying one.

Last edited:

simon1966

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there is anyway to import the WiFi version to the UK without having any contact in the US who could purchase it for me and have it shipped.

You could do what i have done and i am from the UK.
Register with a mail forwarding company, i used Bundlebox.com then use your credit or debit card and purchase from Apple.com. Don't forget to tell your bank that you are making the purchase online otherwise they will probably decline transaction as they might suspect fruad.

Ship ipad to the bundle box address you are given when you register. When Bundle Box receive your order they e.mail you and you pay them to ship to the UK.

My ipad should be delivered to me here in the UK 7/8 April.

info here: Bundle Box - The smarter way to buy from the USA

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad Order

Register with a mail forwarding company, i used Bundlebox.com then use your credit or debit card and purchase from Apple.com. Don't forget to tell your bank that you are making the purchase online otherwise they will probably decline transaction as they might suspect fruad.

Ship ipad to the bundle box address you are given when you register. When Bundle Box receive your order they e.mail you and you pay them to ship to the UK.

I know an other company do the same biz, but should be careful with the scammer , i am from Asia but lucky me i have friend in USA ;-)
so no this kind of problem

OP
I

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score

OK. Thanks for that.

By the way, how much did you pay for total shipping cost inclusive of import VAT?

I am getting estimates of over £160.

Last edited:

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What are you going to do for apps? DO you have a US credit card you could use for for your account so you can shop the US itunes store? If not I don't see the point.

simon1966

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What are you going to do for apps? DO you have a US credit card you could use for for your account so you can shop the US itunes store? If not I don't see the point.

I have both UK and US itunes accounts so no problems purchasing apps, movies etc.

simon1966

iPF Noob
Reaction score

OK. Thanks for that.

By the way, how much did you pay for total shipping cost inclusive of import VAT?

I bought 16Gb ipad and i think my bank charged me £350 with charges for buying in US Dollars. Bundle box will charge £120 approx for vat (that has to be paid and shipping in 3 days.
I know it is a little expensive but i really want an ipad and the extra expense is worth it.
I have a feeling UK ipads will be delayed untill the US ipad orders have settled down. Once orders start shipping and people get their ipads i think more people will order in the US and Apple will look after them first.

Good luck

OP
I

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1) I am trying to buy the 16GB WiFi version and the iPad dock together. Will these be sent as a single package because they have different ship by date? I don't want to incur two different postal charges. If not sure, I will just order the iPad.

2) On the items cart page, do I have to enter the ZIP? This usually adds to the total price. Or do I simply leave the zip out since it needs to be entered on the address form page (the next page).

3) What is the area code and primary phone number. The full number I am getting from Bundle Box is 502-961-9303

When I enter the area code, which bit of the phone number above is the area code and do I leave out the dashes when I enter the numbers?

4) Also, do I tick the box where it says 'this is a business address'?

I'll await your response before I order it.

By the way, how much do you reckon the iPad is likely to be priced in the UK? I read somewhere they will directly swap dollars for pounds, so the 16GB version will cost £500 since it is costing $500 in the US rather than the equivalent in currency conversion.

Thanks

Last edited:

simon1966

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1) I am trying to buy the 16GB WiFi version and the iPad dock together. Will these be sent as a single package because they have different ship by date? I don't want to incur two different postal charges. If not sure, I will just order the iPad.

I would just order the ipad otherwise the items will be sent seperately as and when available and you will end up paying postage twice.

2) On the items cart page, do I have to enter the ZIP? This usually adds to the total price. Or do I simply leave the zip out since it needs to be entered on the address form page (the next page).

Yes add the Bundle box zip and the added is the sales tax you have to pay in the US. I think it is about $30

3) What is the area code and primary phone number. The full number I am getting from Bundle Box is 502-961-9303

When I enter the area code, which bit of the phone number above is the area code and do I leave out the dashes when I enter the numbers?

area code is 502 then add 9619303

4) Also, do I tick the box where it says 'this is a business address'?

its up to you - i didn't.

I'll await your response before I order it.

By the way, how much do you reckon the iPad is likely to be priced in the UK? I read somewhere they will directly swap dollars for pounds, so the 16GB version will cost £500 since it is costing $500 in the US rather than the equivalent in currency conversion.

Thanks

I put the billing address the same as the billing address. You must tell your bank you are making the transaction or they will decline it when you submit bill.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best Buy is an American retailer without international operation or subsidiaries so I haven't any idea. I heard that electronic items are barred from international shipping form the US (I don't know if there is any truth to this), but if that's the case, how come American eBayers sell electronics and ship it overseas?
Best Buy is in Canada too. There are two stores in a 20 mile radius from where I live. I don't even know that they'd sell the iPad but anyway I'm sure that they'd honor an Apple request not to sell iPads before Canadian Apple stores anyway...

OK. Thanks for that.

I think it's time for you to plan a trip in the States. And pay cash!:p

Most reactions

Latest posts